Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Climbers' Corner    How much do we pay for stupidity

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
How much do we pay for stupidity
 Login/Join 
<James Causton>
posted
Just ordered a set of chipper knives from Sharp Edge/ Morbark. The knives are 12"X 2.5"X 5/16". To my reckoning that makes about 37.5 cu ins for a set of 4 knives. They arrived in a box measuring 24"X6"X9" a total of 1,296 cu ins. Guess who paid the shipping!!!
This kind of stuff is just sheer stupidity, who are the idiots making the decisions?????
I am at a loss, I think I will drink a beer and get more at a loss,

James.

Report This Post
<JPS>
posted
Reply to post by James Causton, on March 23, 2002 at 00:14:13:

They need someplace to put all those old newspapers!

Recycling costs money.

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by James Causton, on March 23, 2002 at 00:14:13:

Most of the major shippers base their rates on package weight, not size (unless the package is over-sized and very large). You really aren't paying more just for the box, unless it adds enough weight to push it into the next cost bracket.

Check UPS shipping rates at
http://www.ups.com/using/software/currentrates/rate-pdf/gndcomm.pdf

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on March 23, 2002 at 00:14:13:

Just remebered- I once ordered an additional memory chip for a computer- size is about o.75 x 1.5 x o.15 inches, weight less than 1 ounce. It arrived in a 6 x 8 x 12 box, with lots of air-filled polybags.

Go figure.

Report This Post
<James Causton>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on March 23, 2002 at 00:14:13:

For sure, the difference in shipping charges would be negligible. I suspect the cost of packaging to be more significant. How much more does it cost them to buy a 24 X 9 X 6 box and then fill 90% of it with packing material (manufactured,not old newspapers), than to use a box maybe 15 X 3 X 3 ? These folks are in the business of selling and shipping knives!!! It just surprises me that they are apparently, that inefficient at figuring their numbers. One set of knives, no problem, but these folks must deal with thousands of sets of knives, if they are all sent out in big boxes either the customer is paying too much or, they are losing a lot of money on packaging. I suspect the former. Good hearing from ya Russ,

James.

Report This Post
<Scott>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on March 23, 2002 at 13:13:00:

Ah if we only lived in a perfectly efficient world.

But maybe the company has some MBA who's figured this all out. If we stock only one size box we cut down on inventory costs; we cut down on returned shipments because there was not enough cushioning material (besides we get a better price on cushioning stuff when we buy by the truckload); we cut down on training costs for shiping room help because they don'thave to learn how to select boxes; we negotiated a bulk shipping rate with our carrier based on a certain number of boxes of a certain size... saved money again for the customer; we only want to use recycled boxes and they are usually more expensive but we got a deal on this size.

Or maybe they usually have just the right size box, but were out and the shipping people said "no way we let our customer wait an extra two days just to save a few pennies on box and shipping.... get that order out RIGHT NOW."

Or maybe none of the above is true and all that inefficiency keeps more workers busy at the paper box plant, and the loading dock, and the bubble wrap factory. And the shippers need more or bigger trucks, Detroit likes that. And tires more frequently. Boy that one oversized box really keeps the economy humming. Did you say tree care sales are up 20% last year?

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Scott, on March 23, 2002 at 13:16:27:

Scott wrote: "Boy that one oversized box really keeps the economy humming. Did
you say tree care sales are up 20% last year? "

No, but logging is up, I suppose.

Report This Post