Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Climbers' Corner    Gay Tree Climber Offended

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Gay Tree Climber Offended
 Login/Join 
<Clarence>
posted
Hi,
I think that I am the only gay climber I have seen. Its so unfair, the other climbers always ridicule me and poke fun at me all day. I think I am better than most climbers as I am very sensative to the trees needs. I love trees and nature and always further educate myself on proper tree care. So please be more sensative to gay climbers. We love hard work aswell not just hair dressing [Smile]

Report This Post
<Reed>
posted
Reply to post by Clarence, on January 09, 2003 at 19:13:53:

Sexual preference has nothing to do with the love and respect for trees. It has nothing to do with quality of work, type of work, and ethics in work.

Elements of maschismo pervade society, as a climber myself I pride my work and technique and respect anyone who is exceptional with their work whether it be accounting or oceanliner piloting or solo circumnavigating. If we were to condemn people based on preference, there wouldn't be flocks to attend fundamentalist worship services - as most peversions occur under the cloak of christianity as over one thousand priests have demonstrated much as Baptist preachers drink liquor but tell the sheep it's a sin.

Grow some callous and get tough. Ignore taunts and keep preference quietly tucked away until social hour. Choices of who you want to play with have no place while working in trees, it needs to come out later no matter what your preferences are.

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by Reed, on January 09, 2003 at 19:13:53:

Good advice from Reed; lifestyle choices don't have relevance on the job and if you're overtly "out" in a business that requires teamwork and concentration you can be a liability.

I'm completely tolerant of other lifestyles but if I had a coworker who pressed for not just tolerance but acceptance I'd ask him/her to leave. The distractions aren't worth it.

Report This Post
<JPS>
posted
Reply to post by Guy, on January 12, 2003 at 10:28:00:

We bleed to much on the job. I would have a big concern there.

I'd probably leave myself. I don't care how many scientific studies can be quoted.

Report This Post
<Ryan>
posted
Reply to post by JPS, on January 18, 2003 at 16:46:26:

Hey, if the guy is good at what he does he gets to be as "out" as he wants. There are enoughe alcoholics and drug addicts working among us to make this a rediculous thing to worry about, regardless of one's personal belifes. As to the supposed increased chance of contracting aids from having a homosexual climber around, give me a break. People who climb in trees with chainsaws for a living shouldnt be so easily frightened of such bizzare and implausible possibilities.

Report This Post
<keith>
posted
Reply to post by Guy, on January 12, 2003 at 10:28:00:

I'm sure you are all sincere and feel your comments are justified, but being oneself should not be considered excessive distraction. I've told many of my coworkers I was an environmentalist, which they found ridiculous, but if I was fired for that it would be absurd (and possibly illegal). The suggestion that he should keep his personal life for after hours is ridiculous; when you work with people every day, they will learn things about you. The suggestion that he should hide a basic part of his identity is insulting and reflects the fact that discrimination is alive and well as long as someone feels a moral justification for it (as they once claimed biblical justification for slavery). You're welcome to your opinion, but don't kid yourself that it is anything more than that.

Our industry has always tended to attract macho types and women have experienced the same problems as Clarence when they tried to join the club. Misogeny and homophobia are facts of life, unfortunately, but they should not be a factor in whether someone keeps his/her job. If this guy really is a good climber, he has just as much right as any of us to be employed.

regarding the statement about blood flowing, welcome to the 21st century. You may still think of AIDS as the "gay plague" but you are way out of touch if you do. Straight people are the fastest-rising group infected with the virus; no matter whom you work with, you should be avoiding contact with bodily fluids.

Clarence, I'm sure you didn't need Reed to tell you you'll need a thick skin, but I applaud you for speaking out in an industry that doesn't want to hear what you have to say. Staying in the closet might make the day pass more smoothly, but if things are ever going to change the cavemen will have to be shown the light by someone. Good luck.

keith

Report This Post
<keith>
posted

I'm posting this for Michele Q., who can't seem to make the board work for her:

as long as you are not creating dangerous situations for your
co-workers, you have nothing to change except perhaps your expectations.
your co-workers opinions about who you are do not define you. you do
that by your own beliefs. BE WHO YOU ARE AT ALL TIMES . only then will
you be free. your co-workers have become stuck in prisons of their own
beliefs - unhappy people who are also jerks attack others.

for a practical solution, perhaps you can be looking for other climbers
who share your beliefs with whom to form a business. for a
philosophical one, perhaps you are in your position to help change the
attitudes of the intolerant ones. that's a difficult position - give
yourself plenty of credit and find support. these are especially tough
times when all our fears are being escalated and played upon. don't
give up. no fear. (that's what your co-workers are exhibiting.)

an additional thing to consider is this: can YOU accept your coworkers
for what THEY are? i know it s not the same, but just for your own
personal growth&

best wishes,

m

Report This Post
<Guy LeBlanc>
posted

Hi everyone. Been a long time since I posted. Noticed a posting on this "gay" climber issue from someone named "guy" and thought, hey that's me. But it's not. So, I thought I'd suggest that we use last initials or cities or something when posting.

As to the gay climber thing, doesn't anyone know BAIT when they see it?

Guy L. in Austin

Report This Post
<JPS>
posted
Reply to post by Ryan, on January 20, 2003 at 19:33:26:

"so easily frightened of such bizzare and implausible possibilities."

Why is it that? I think it is a real concern.

I can reduce my risks in a tree with a chainsaw by using good body positioning. I will still get nicks and scrapes, so do othe people I work with. The we handle tools and ropes and contact others blood.

Report This Post
<keith>
posted
Reply to post by Guy LeBlanc, on January 09, 2003 at 19:13:53:

Guy,
Do I know bait when I see it? usually. Do I think this was bait? probably. Does that excuse me from responding to the subsequent posts that perpetuate a homophobic attitude in our profession? I don't think so.

keith

Report This Post
<michele>
posted
Reply to post by Guy LeBlanc, on January 09, 2003 at 19:13:53:

yes, guy, a couple of us have discussed off forum that this seemed like possible bait, but we thought it was an important enough topic to be responded to anyway.

Report This Post
<michele>
posted
Reply to post by jps, on January 23, 2003 at 00:45:30:

in this case, i think the problem is in thinking that a gay climber is a more likely HIV carrier than the straight one. misguided assumption. and may be one reason why aids has spread as fast as it has among straight people. unreliable assumptions.

Report This Post
<mike>
posted

I would be more sensative next time and not hire someone like you.

Report This Post