Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Climbers' Corner    ISA certification- tree ID

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
ISA certification- tree ID
 Login/Join 
<MICHAEL STARNER>
posted
Can anyone give me some insight on the content of the TREE ID domain. I am scheduled to take the exam would like to know what areas I need to give some speacial attention. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Michael Starner

Report This Post
<JPS>
posted
Reply to post by Michael Starner, on November 25, 2000 at 15:27:03:

It depends on your chapter. Here in WI they have a master list of 90 plants and they will test you on 10-15 (can't remember) for wich they provide Raunkiaer mounts (bark, leaves, twigs...) of each specimine.

Beats the winter twig senario that people like to scare otheres with .

We can request a copy of the master list from the chapter for study.

Report This Post
<Michael>
posted
Reply to post by jps, on November 25, 2000 at 15:27:03:

Thanks jps, I will write ISA for a master list
if our chapter works the same way.

Report This Post
<Carl Absher>
posted

Michael,

Remember, there are only ten samples to identify but ID & Selection accounts for 12% of the exam, or 24 questions. So, there will also be questions on how you identify a tree, i.e., twig and leaf characteristics, leaf and bud arrangement, nomenclature, and so on.

Identifying the samples may be the easy part. Be familiar with the chapter on Tree ID in the Certified Arborist Study Manual.

Carl

Report This Post
<James Causton>
posted

Michael, Are you looking toward being a competent arborist, or are you simply looking at passing a test???? If the former, study trees! If the latter, read lists and responses!!! James

Report This Post
<JPS>
posted
Reply to post by James Causton, on November 25, 2000 at 15:27:03:

On that line of thought then no one should buy the NAA study guide. A competant arborist should already know everything.

A good arborist should know common speicies in the area in wich they work, but still will run into situations wwere a specimine needs to be keyed out. Is that unprofessional.

The purpose of the master list is that the chapter feels that these are the 90 plants that we should know on site.

A good arborist is always studying, the purpose of the ISA credentialing is to assure the public that one is.

Report This Post
<Dave Blackmon>
posted

FWIW, I took my exam at Fresno State, the trees
were quite a bit different than the Lake Tahoe
area I called home. I went a couple of days
early and visited alot of the local nurseries.
Cross refrenced to the ISA list and a Sunset Western
Garden book. Worked for me.

Report This Post