Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Climbers' Corner    Hanging up gear forever

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Hanging up gear forever
 Login/Join 
<Kenna Nethken>
posted
I own a small tree care company. I use to go out , climb, and play with the crews. I was in heaven, If someone had a question or a problem with a tree I would climb in or up as the case may be and help out.
I am not in heaven now. About 2 1/2 years ago as I was climbing, I feit a pain in my shoulder. Paying no attettion to the warning I kept working, until I could not lift my arm. I always thought my knees would have been the end of my climbing. Now if I try and share little tricks of the trade that are picked up with experence with up and coming climbers, they look at me as a wore out has been. Some days I wish "Just give me one more climb". It could be worst. If I did not own the company. I probley have to go work at WalMart. So injoy every climb, it may be your last..
I now keep busy with the day to day operation of the business. I try and stay away from the job sites. The jobs get done,not as fast, but they get done. Is their anyone out their that knows how I feel.

Report This Post
<joe>
posted
Reply to post by Kenna Nethken, on September 02, 2002 at 13:35:21:

Hi, Kenna;

1 can't expect to climb forever. Perhaps if you still feel the need to be involved with the actual work, you could run lines and act as a sounding board to the climbers. You could also compliment the climbers during or after the work to let them know their skills are appreciated.

What does this have to do with you hanging up your gear and your sorrow for having to quit climbing? You've proven yourself. Smile at your accomplishments. Step aside with the contentment of having done well and let the younger men do as you have done. Otherwise, get over it and accomplish something else. [Smile]

Joe

Report This Post
<Kenna>
posted
Reply to post by joe, on September 02, 2002 at 13:35:21:

Thanks Joe,
That is the same thing my wife said. Some how it sounds better coming from you. Already started putting more enegery in making company the best. I do let my climbers know how I appericate every thing they do. Pats on back, at a boys. I guess someone had to step aside to let me shine. Now it's my turn. SEEYA Kenna

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by Kenna , on September 05, 2002 at 22:01:21:

Kenna, medicine works miracles. maybe some radical therapy can make your shoulder work again.
I'm 52, 37 years in the saddle. Last year, broken ribs ruptured spleen and diagnosis of leukemia. Before that, multiple dislocated shoulders, fractured skull, broken arm and wrists (separate incidents), 3 zaps of electricity and more twists and pulls than I could count. Half a dozen near-fatal accidents.

I love climbing. I consult some and teach some but I have no crew so I'm the one who gets into the trees. I expect to get at least 20 years more out of this body because when It complains I get radical. Chiropractic, rolfing, wierd diets and wierder-looking exercises, I spare no effort to heal injuries.

It's good you have young climbers to teach and congratulate, but don't give up on your body too easily. Immobilized joints just get worse as you age, unless you get range of motion back.
I hit the ice skiing two winters ago; it hurt when I lifted my arm. I rigged up a pulley and used my good arm to pull my bad arm up, over and over, nice and easy. It took over a year but I now have full range of motion back, and can hang my whole weight from the bad arm.

Goodness look at the time! Keep Up!

Report This Post
<joe>
posted
Reply to post by Guy, on September 06, 2002 at 07:46:56:

Hi, Guy;

I admire your pursuit of arboricultural knowledge. I wouldn't have a problem asking to learn about urban tree management from you. However, after reading about your injuries, I definitely wouldn't ask to learn rigging or climbing from you. These injuries are from auto wrecks and skiing, right? Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm amazed you are still alive.

Joe

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by Joe, on September 07, 2002 at 19:02:25:

Joe, bluntness is fine; all accidents with trees (I didn't include the others), all but two had either carelessness or stupidity as the primary cause.
Now I use multiple tie-ins a lot, and take my time more. All the advances in rigging and safety are good, but I, old dog, only use a few.

I still body-thrust, use 10 mm rope per ANZI specs, and tell young climbers to learn the new methods, not mine. My most useful climbing tool is a ladder.

Bottom line though, is if you get hurt force your body to heal. Work thru pain or injuries just get more crippling as you age. RICE is out, MICE is in; movement helps heal tissues.

Report This Post
<BROTHER BOB>
posted
Reply to post by Kenna Nethken, on September 02, 2002 at 13:35:21:

WHAT A CRY BABY. I CAN'T CLIME ANYMORE. YOU COULDN'T KEEP UP WITH ME ON YOUR BEST DAY, PLUS MOM ALLWAYS LIKED YOU THE BEST AND BABYED YOU FOR 48 YEARS.

BROTHER BOB

Report This Post