Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Climbers' Corner    Beginner

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Beginner
 Login/Join 
<BCpowder>
posted
Need to know where a beginner in tree climbing
can go for desciptive knots and get "how to" info
on climbing and decinding. Thanks

Report This Post
<Tom Dunlap>
posted
Reply to post by BCpowder, on May 31, 2000 at 15:29:19:

The second edition of the Tree Climber's Companion has just been published.

Contact me if you are interested in purchasing a copy.

Tom

Report This Post
<Bill Newman>
posted

Get a job working with an experienced climber! You don't start out climbing. You drag brush first.

Report This Post
<Tom Watson>
posted

BC, If you're near Atlanta, or willing to travel here, you can take a one-on-one recreational climbing class through Tree Climbers International. Placing a huge emphasis on safety, it covers the basics of friction-knot climbing and climbing with mechanical ascenders. The two-day course let's students advance at their own pace. It's a good way to start becoming comfortable in trees while learning to appreciate and respect them, all core characteristics of a good climber. As earlier noted, the safest and best way to learn to work in trees is through a seasoned, professional climber. Safety must always be paramount. Tree Climbers International has an Atlanta phone listing and a website.

Keep looking up
Tom

Report This Post
<kc>
posted

Find a mentor; look into a course; and get sum books. wtsherrill.com

Ground school comes before you hit the air! You can find yourself up thar; with no one to help/advise right there with you; right then. This is where the broadest background to fall back on comes in handy; like a wide stable base. Practice your knots; I have seen a lot of guys able to tie their friction hitch on the ground over and over for a month - freeze when they realize the now have to tie it 187% right and ride on it!

Report This Post
<Deb>
posted

Well, I'm taking a course in tree climbing & knot tying at my local community college. They cover everything ! From knot tying to areial rescue. It's cool ! And I'm female & old ! LOL

Report This Post
<husky>
posted
Fair play to ya Deb.
Age and sex doesnt affet what kind of climber ya are, when i was at college the main tutor was close to retirement age and he could beat every single one of us up a tree.....and probably still could!
There was a lass who was on me course too, will be polite and wont say her age tho she was somehwere inbetween 30 and 40, fair enough, at first she didnt have the upper body strength at first to get off the ground, but from a course of 9 people, 8 lads and 1 lass, she was up a tree when 2 lads were still on the ground. I respected her more than anyone on the course and i know she is a darned fine arborist. i aint no spring chicken meself! get older every year.......sniff

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Pull on the end of that rope

Posts: 56 | Location: Auckland, NZ | Registered: Monday March 28, 2005Report This Post