Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Climbers' Corner    friction hitches

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
friction hitches
 Login/Join 
posted
Hello there.
I would like to find out if anybody can claim absolute satisfaction from climbing with either a Marschard or a Valdothain hitch. What I mean by absolute satisfaction is when the hitch allows rope through when needed, but also grips the climbing rope securely when weight is put on it - a perfect mix of safety and performance. I ´m wondering if this can even be achieved or whether you can only get this from a Lockjack. I climb in Berlin in Germany and I know that there are some differents between techniques and equipment between you guys in the states and us over here so perhaps you don´t use the Marschard or Valdothain hitches. I´d certainly be interested to here any of your comments though

Posts: 3 | Location: Torquay, Devon | Registered: Sunday February 20, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in England, I use the Valdothain tresse with a isc swingcheek pulley and 10mm Regate.When the rope is new it works well but any age on the rope and it is more grip than slip, so safe but awkward. I have seen the same knot with 8mm Samson Hurricane(I think) tied to the carabiner and the end of a petzl fixed cheek pulley. It has the slip, but because of the small diameter of the knot rope, it grips. The problem arises because it is not recommended to climb on less than 10mm because of the ease of thin rope to fail from accidental cutting or burnouts.
Also the Valdothain needs constant dressing but this comes habit after a while.

Posts: 56 | Location: Auckland, NZ | Registered: Monday March 28, 2005Report This Post