Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  General Arboriculture    Leaning Tree

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Leaning Tree
 Login/Join 
<Brad>
posted
I recently planted two royal red maples. One of them has settled in the ground on an angle. the trunk is straight but the whole tree is leaning to the back. About a foot or so at the top. It is strong enough to hold itself up. I am wondering if I should stake it or if it will correct itself. I have heard bad things about staking.
Any help will be appreciated.

Report This Post
<Mark Goodwin>
posted
Reply to post by Brad, on July 17, 2002 at 16:59:15:

Perhaps you can carefully dig under the root ball on the side the tree is leaning toward, then pry the root ball upward, and add soil beneath it to bring it level.
I would not try to make the tree level by applying any force to the stem, such as with stakes and guys.
Many trees will adjust to a shift in original position, but if you want a vertical tree, it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish by dig and fill.
How big is the tree?

Report This Post
<Brad>
posted
Reply to post by Mark Goodwin, on July 17, 2002 at 16:59:15:

Thanks for responding. The tree is about 7 or so feet tall. I planted it about a month or two ago.

Report This Post