Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  General Arboriculture    walnut tree cuttings

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
walnut tree cuttings
 Login/Join 
<kirsty>
posted
URGENT HELP PLEASE.
The builders have just cut down my precious walnut tree. I have taken 3 branch cuttings & put in water. Don't know what to do. Will they root like this or do I need to graft & how? Looked all over web can't find any help. Please help as I really want to grow one of these cuttings.

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by kirsty, on July 26, 2002 at 15:26:12:

See the Plant Propagator magazine from 1972-3.

Cuttings from young trees at best root 50% for professionals, older trees much less.

was it your tree? can you recover damages from the person who destroyed it?

Report This Post
<Mark Goodwin>
posted
Reply to post by kirsty, on July 26, 2002 at 15:26:12:

If your tree was cut without your express permission, you may wish to look into getting compensation.
I assume your tree is an 'English'(Persian) variety, but you didn't state. Just the same, my reference text does not show rooting of cuttings as a viable method of propagation for any walnut. Usually a bud is grafted onto a seedling rootstock. Sometimes a scion (short bud stick) is grafted onto existing trees. The timing of these grafts is important, and most likely too late now. Scion wood is taken during tree dormancy (sometimes right after leaf fall), then held in cold storage until springtime grafting.
I suggest you start with a good new tree, after reserching what is best for your location. Walnut propagation can be a lengthy and difficult undertaking.

Report This Post
<kirsty>
posted
Reply to post by Mark Goodwin, on July 26, 2002 at 15:26:12:

Thanks for your help. The tree was in a hedge adjoining our property with their land and I am pretty sure it was on our side. The builders have offered to replace the tree (with a younger one), mine was 20 years old. I was just sentimental about the old one as my dad planted it and we only got the first walnuts 2 years ago, just after he died. I will accept their offer for a new tree. Which variety do you suggest and how long before we get walnuts?
I live on the Essex/Suffolk border in England.

Report This Post
<Mark Goodwin>
posted
Reply to post by kirsty, on July 27, 2002 at 18:37:02:

I wish I did know enough to give you that kind of advice, but I'm sure you can find better local advice.
Just the same, I've included a link to a web site I found in the U.K. Perhaps you can begin there for advice on selecting a variety well-suited to your location.

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by Mark Goodwin, on July 29, 2002 at 13:32:13:

If all or part of the tree's trunk was on your property, the tree's destroyer is getting off very lightly. If someone destroyed your BMW, would you settle for a Honda?

If the true value of the lost tree is not recovered, there will be no deterrent to the destroyer and others of that ilk to trespass and destroy again. 20-yr. old, nut-bearing trees can be bought and moved. Replacing with 2 10-yr. old or 4 5 yr. old trees, and/or money might be fair as well, and easier.

Perhaps a look into local law, or a talk with a local consulting arborist might suggest better ways to cure your loss than what has been proposed.

Report This Post
<issa>
posted
Reply to post by Mark Goodwin, on July 26, 2002 at 15:26:12:

Report This Post