Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  General Arboriculture    Beginning arboriculturist

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Beginning arboriculturist
 Login/Join 
<Ariel>
posted
Hello there,

I'm a 32 year old female becoming very interested in arboriculture. I have a BA but in an unrelated field, and have done lots of postgrad coursework in horticulture and am going through home-study coursework via the National Arborist Association. I also rock-climb but only occasionally, so I'm basically familiar with climbing, but not an expert. I consider myself in acceptable but not spectacular shape/strength. I also have interest in soil mycology, but that is a little too specialized, I think, esp. for an undergraduate.

Here are my questions:

What would you recommend for someone just starting out, generally?

Will I be intimidated being "just a woman" in this field?

Is further "book-education" really important, or is practical experience more important - where can an inexperienced person gain additional practical experience?

Am I too old to begin this?

Thanks!

Report This Post
<John Paul Sanborn>
posted
Reply to post by Ariel, on October 08, 2002 at 13:15:41:

I know a guy who jumped into the proffesion at 39.

More book learning is always a good thing, it all depends on what aspect of the trade you wish to pursue, primarily pruning, plant health...

Climbing and responce from males will depend on the outfit you work for, nome are still populated by knuckle-draggers. Seems to be more women in institutional/municiple arboriculture then comercial.

A number of good schools have climbing programs and 2 year degrees in arboriculture, WI has 2. MidState in WI Rapids and MATC Milwaukee. I've heard good thingas about Clemson, Bottoneau, UMass, PennState....

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by John Paul Sanborn, on October 08, 2002 at 13:15:41:

Get into the trees as soon as you can. Apply to work for an ISA certified arborist's company (see www.isa-arbor.com for one in your area.)

32 is young; I'm 52 and will climb for 2 more decades at least, learned from a guy who was 73.
Strength more an issue than gender, esp. upper-body toning.

Book-learning great but not more than handson work. JPS listed some good programs, but what's the good of those until you're SURE you want to use the ed. Once you're sure, getting certified yourself much more useful than college imo.

Go for it--the treetops are the limit!

Report This Post
<mike>
posted
Reply to post by Guy, on October 11, 2002 at 14:08:58:

I have been climbing for many years now and although I use upper body strength for my climbing, most of my speed comes from technique and effeciency (

Report This Post
<reuvi>
posted
Reply to post by Ariel, on October 08, 2002 at 13:15:41:

hi ariel
if you stil folow this I am a guy 41 years old
that wants to get into the tree climbing buisness, and like you seek information where to begin ,I just wondered how did you come along with your search and what did you do about it,
thanks,
Reuvi

Report This Post