Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  General Arboriculture    Strangled Oaks

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Strangled Oaks
 Login/Join 
<Mark jarvis>
posted
Hi,

I live in the UK and as I drive to work I see Oak trees on the side of the road being strangled by vines.

I often wonder if this harms the tree and will be shortening it's lifespan?

On some trees the vines are as thick as hands span and go up half the height of the tree.

Could anyone tell me what effect the vines have and if they should be sawn through to stop them strangling the trees?

My house looks over trees in a nearby field that has a similar problem and I would look after the trees if this would help?

Any views?

Mark

Report This Post
<Babberney>
posted
Reply to post by Mark jarvis, on May 23, 2003 at 06:46:59:

There are two ways vines can damage trees. First, they can encircle a branch and act as a noose to strangle flow of sap through vascular tissue, which lies just below the bark. Second, they can climb into and over the upper canopy, reducing light penetration and causing decline of branches. How serious a problem this is depends somewhat on the type of vine and the exact species of tree, but in general I'd vote for cutting the vines. If you do, be prepared to hear from angry vine lovers.

Also, make sure you really cut them. Some vines, such as English Ivy (_Haedera helix_) can graft back together unless you make two cuts and remove a small section of the vine to make sure the two ends cannot touch each other.

good luck,
keith

Report This Post
<Mark jarvis>
posted
Reply to post by Babberney, on May 23, 2003 at 06:46:59:

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have often wondered if this sort of thing is on the increase as land owners devote less time to looking after the environment.

I do not want to see a decline of trees on the roadside and it seems to me that just about every tree has some sort of encroachment of vines. I am not sure who is responsible for the trees as they border the roads and fields.

I wonder if this normally was allowed to happen in days gone by, or would the farmer / land owner do something to prevent this type of encroachment.

I did not know about Ivy rejoining and if I do get my saw out I shall ensure that it is a big chunk out of the vine and not too deep to go through to the tree it is attached to.

The last winter we had a few trees fall on the roads and I wonder if this failure to deal with the vines has allowed the trees to die sooner than there normal lifespan?

Thanks for indulging my musings.

Cheers

Mark

Report This Post
<Tom Dunlap>
posted
Reply to post by Mark Jarvis, on May 23, 2003 at 10:30:38:

A small ax works for cutting the vines too. With practice and caution, you can whack out chunks of vine pretty quickly.

there is also a feeling that the extra weight of the vines can change the load on the roots. this might lead to premature tree failure.

Tom

Report This Post