Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  General Arboriculture    training/fitness in scotland

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
training/fitness in scotland
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi,
Ive had my cs 30/31 for 2 1/2 years and have spent all this time working with the same company on the ground. I am now looking at moving on to try my climbing units, I have a few unhelpful types at work telling me that at 6 foot 2, 16 stonnes and 29 years old iam to old and to heavy to be trying this....I was just wondering what other people think about this, and is there any specific fitness excersise i should be working on before i go.

Also although I feel comfortable with my experience on the ground I feel that i am lacking in background tree knowlede (other than how to fell and prune them) I am looking to try and gain a formal qualification such as the aa tech certificate, or the foundation degree, I was wondering if anyone out there could suggest a suitable course i could do, ideally as a home study as i could not afford to pack in my current job and go to college.
i would appreciate any comments on the above... except "ecept dont go there fat boy" that is.
cheers

Posts: 1 | Location: ayr scotland | Registered: Tuesday January 13, 2004Report This Post
RCA #354
BCMA #PD0008b
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hello, Andy.

My own philosophy is don’t listen to the nay-sayers. Go for it! I know quite a few chaps who are tall and over 30 and still climb with the best. Fitness is important, but that’s true with most physical endeavors.

As to studying, consider contacting the UK&I Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture. This will give you access to a lot of good study material, especially the Certified Arborist training books, etc. You don’t have to be a member to buy them, but you do get some good discounts on price. You will also tap into the great knowledge of other arborists, and I think you will find plenty of supportive folks willing to assist you in reaching your goals.

UK&I Chapter, ISA

--------------------
--
Russ Carlson, RCA, BCMA

Posts: 287 | Location: Bear, DE USA | Registered: Wednesday June 18, 2003Report This Post
<JPL>
posted
Hi Andy

Your 'unhelpfull types at work' may have a point, agility essential in being a good tree surgeon. But its not for me to comment. Have you tried any rock face climbing to test your upper body and agility.

Addressing your second point about gaining further qualification, there is an excellent online foundation degree course at Myerscough College. All study is done at home with even some exams taken by post. Contact Mick at the address velow. He is a genuine and helpful guy and will answer all your questions.

Mick Cottam
Programme Leader
Arboriculture
Myerscough College

mcottam@myerscough.ac.uk

Hope this is helpful

JPL

Report This Post