Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  General Arboriculture    Species Classification - Abbreviations

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Species Classification - Abbreviations
 Login/Join 
posted
Do you know of a globally/nationally accepted abbreviation system of tree species classification.
And where I might find it?

thanks in advance,

josh

Posts: 1 | Location: South London, UK | Registered: Friday November 14, 2003Report This Post
RCA #354
BCMA #PD0008b
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I’ve been looking for years for a standardized code, but haven’t found one yet. Many systems I've sen use the first two letters of genus and species, but then you can get duplicates, such as Picea glauca and Pinus glabra. Then add in cultivars and varieties, and the whole thing can be come a mess. A standardized system would be useful.

--
Russ Carlson, RCA

Posts: 287 | Location: Bear, DE USA | Registered: Wednesday June 18, 2003Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
I think I've seen a species/cultivar code in the ANLA publications catalog. It is used in the nursery trades... might be what LA's use in calling out species too, but not sure about that.

I also think I may have seen a UUSDA-FS set of codes for use with the Forest Inventory & Analysis (FIA) and Forest Health Monitoring (FHM) programs. You can search on thse titles to get the websites.

SC

Report This Post