Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  The Underground World    Roots and infrastructure damage

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Roots and infrastructure damage
 Login/Join 
<Thomas B Randrup>
posted
Hi colleagues

We are a group of researchers currently working on a paper on tree roots and their damage to paved areas and sewer systems. We have been through the most obvious literature, i.e., the Journal of Arboriculture and the Arboricultural Journal. However, we would like to get additional information from any of you who know about studies, surveys etc. related to this subject.

Thanks in advance, Thomas B. Randrup

Report This Post
<Colin Bashford>
posted
Reply to post by Thomas B Randrup, on February 01, 2000 at 13:01:05:

Hi Thomas, we meet in the strangest of places especially as I have just finished a posting to you in another forum.
Do you have details of UK documentation on this subject? I suspect so but if not let me know and I will help. After all "One good turn deserves another" is an English proverb.

Colin

Report This Post
<Tom Dunlap>
posted
Reply to post by Thomas B Randrup, on February 01, 2000 at 13:01:05:

While going ahead with this research do you think that you might be able to look at things from a different angle. Rather than seeing the trees damaging sidewalks and sewer lines why not look at how to install and maintain infrastructure so that the trees can grow. The only reason that trees grow into sewer and water lines is that the lines are cracked. Is that the trees fault? You could do some good becoming the advocate for the trees.

Trees become the easy target. Why not insist that the engineers on the other side of the table take care of their projects an leave the trees alone.

Tom

Report This Post
<Thomas Randrup>
posted
Reply to post by Tom Dunlap, on February 01, 2000 at 13:01:05:

Hi Tom
I agree with you and we are including the construction of sidewalks and sewers in the study. However, it is a fact that trees and the infrastructure sometimes are in conflict with one another. Therefore, we are interested in any study, survey etc. which look into this problem, highlighting either the trees or the infrastucture - or both.

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Thomas Randrup, on February 02, 2000 at 23:43:37:

You should probably get in touch with Dr. Nina Bassuk or Jason Grabosky at the Urban Horticulture Institute at Cornell. They've been doing a lot of sidewalk study.

Report This Post
<wesam salah>
posted
Reply to post by Tom Dunlap, on February 01, 2000 at 13:01:05:

im working in landscape and i like to know more about damage of tree roots that all

Report This Post