Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  The Underground World    Honey Locust

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Honey Locust
 Login/Join 
<Rose Chase>
posted
I found Shade Master variety of Honey Locust that the Garden Center said were grafted on other roots. Does that sound true and why would they graft them?

Report This Post
<Bob Wulkowicz>
posted
Reply to post by Rose Chase, on September 08, 2001 at 19:09:18:

It's quite true. Trees and plants have been grafted to different roots for centuries to improve disease resistance, be more productive and often because we don't know when to stop. Most of the grape vines here in America are products of European tops grafted on more disease resistant American roots. Then when the inevitable occured and disease swept hrough these manufactured monocultures, we had a real problem.

It the case of trees, someone feels there's an advantage in mixing roots and tops, perhaps for sales, or longevity, or some such wish.

I read here that a few people can graft a thousand buds a day with a 95% success rate. I'm not sure how they judge success? Does it stay together until after it's been sold?

With GW"s restrictions on cloning, science may turn to grafting. Me, I'm looking forward to having my head grafted on a 25 year old body. I can live with a 5% failure rate.

Bob Wulkowicz

http://heg-school.awl.com/bc/companion/cmr2e/activity/VR/VR19.htm

Report This Post
<John Paul Sanborn>
posted
Reply to post by Bob Wulkowicz, on September 08, 2001 at 19:09:18:

I've heard/read that grafting sucsess is when the scion remains after one growing season.

One thing you should find out is what the understock is, if it is the wild locust (I've heard of this but not seen it) you will get sprouts with wicked thorns.

Bob, why don't you go with the brain transplant? The you can have a 20 year old face and hairline too.

Report This Post
<Bob Wulkowicz>
posted
Reply to post by John Paul Sanborn, on September 08, 2001 at 20:59:13:

Actually, I have a full head of hair with perhaps a dozen silver strands. My dad (84) is just starting to have his hair thin out.

As to the brain transplant, I'll voluntarily step out of the line. There's a huge waiting list of people who need it so much more.

Bob in beautiful coastal Nova Scotia

No comments on the destructiveness of roots? I feel so alone and forlorn...

Report This Post
<JPS>
posted
Reply to post by Bob Wulkowicz, on September 09, 2001 at 17:24:22:

If the root issue is the maple in MKE, the guy posted in the "ask.." forum also. I replyed to that post.

Report This Post
<John Paul Sanborn>
posted
Reply to post by Bob Wulkowicz, on September 09, 2001 at 17:24:22:

Once again I am guilty of miscomunication.

I was not saying that you need a new brain but that instead of gettin your head moved as you suggested, go with a whole new body. Just keep the wetwear.

But then a joke is not any fun if it needs 'splainin.

Report This Post
<Bob Wulkowicz>
posted
Reply to post by john paul sanborn, on September 11, 2001 at 12:37:42:

Once again I am guilty of miscomunication.

was not saying that you need a new brain but that instead of gettin your head moved as you suggested, go with a whole new body. Just keep the wetwear.

But then a joke is not any fun if it needs 'splainin.

JPS

I know, I know. I was joking too. Now I got to 'splain it as well.

How come you're posting twice below? Forget you already did it? Come on over and wait in line with me for new parts.

Tubs

Report This Post
<JPS>
posted
Reply to post by Bob Wulkowicz, on September 16, 2001 at 17:52:52:

I think i just clikced to fast or something....

Report This Post