Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  The Underground World    Tree roots, clay soils, subsidence

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Tree roots, clay soils, subsidence
 Login/Join 
<Brian Boyce>
posted
I'm interested in any information, links, research sources, or opinions - informed or otherwise - regarding the potential threat of foundation structural damage from tree roots. As I understand the notion, tree roots can withdraw moisture from certain clay soils, causing the soils to shrink, consequently damaging foundations.

I've noticed that British arborists seem pretty convinced of the validity of this threat, whereas I don't see a corresponding concern in American arboriculture. Do the Brits know something we don't? Is this question still an open one? Do I have an entirely unclear perception of the whole situation???

Much obliged for any information you might provide...

Brian Boyce

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Brian Boyce, on July 07, 2001 at 23:12:19:

Brian, I think the problem is dependent on particular, "expansive" clays in association with particular building features, which in the UK has been exacerbated by drought.

There were earlier discussions in this thread at

http://tree-tech.com/board/?topic=topic5&msg=6
May 6, 1998

and

http://tree-tech.com/board/?topic=topic5&msg=104
Nov. 24, 1998

These will have a lot more information.

Report This Post
<Paul Hawksford>
posted

Dear Brian

Please e-mail me directly, I will try to provide you with all the data you need.

Best Regards

Paul Hawksford

Report This Post
<brian>
posted

Paul, Scott - Many Thanks

Brian

Report This Post