Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  The Underground World    Trenched Tree line

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Trenched Tree line
 Login/Join 
<Scott Swain>
posted
The city near where I live but electric around their city park two years ago. This was done with a trench method. These trees started to decline in health and I was contacted in an attempt to save them. I am planning a soil treatment of Mycorrizial, Ferttalizer, and other nutrients as needed by soil sample. What I would like to know is if anyone has any other suggestions that might improve the chances of these trees?

Report This Post
<Mark Goodwin>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Swain, on January 11, 2003 at 09:07:13:

Have you considered measures to reduce other potential stressors to the trees, including compaction, too shallow of irrigation, frequent wetting of trunks, poor drainage & standing water, etc.?

Report This Post
<James Causton>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Swain, on January 11, 2003 at 09:07:13:

Hi Scott, dealing with root damage issues is a tough one to deal with. Right off the bat I would suggest staying away from any kind of fertilizers, the nitrates could easily end up feeding root decay pathogens. Mycorrhizae might help in some situations but it is NOT "fairy dust" and works very poorly when used as such. I would think that keeping the impacted soil areas adequately moist would be the first consideration, beyond that, backfilling the trenches with good, disease free, well decomposed compost, would give the trees the greatest chance of survival. Above all, just reduce stress impacts as far as possible.

James

Report This Post
<Scott Swain>
posted
Reply to post by James Causton, on January 11, 2003 at 09:07:13:

James,
What do you think about doing several vertical mulch holes in a patter with just compost? I know the Mychorrizal is just one tool and won't bring back the dead, but it should help the feeder roots, or am I wrong in my thinking?
As for the fert, we are plannig a small amount of a low nitrite compound. I have told the City Park Board that more than likely some of the trees will die, we are trying to save as many as possible.

Report This Post
<James Causton>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Swain, on January 16, 2003 at 23:43:30:

Well!!! Vertical mulch holes are just that. There is no way to pre-estimate how much lateral movement anything might have in the soil. Sure, it would definately be as good as doing nothing, yet hopefully a lot better, the organic content and compaction levels of the soil will determine how far any treatment in the soil moves. Personally, I would still absolutely stay away from nitrates.

James

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by James Causton, on January 17, 2003 at 08:17:30:

Best way to build root function I've found is to stand with your back to the tree and swing a pick into the ground, making a 45 degree hole. push up on the handle, cracking up the soil. Pack the holes full of compost mixed w aged pine bark expanded slate or a mixture.

The soil cracking increases aeration and contact area tween native soil and amendment. If you avoid hitting woody roots youcan do nothing but build root function.

Was the city the trenching entity? If not, sue!

Report This Post
<Scott Swain>
posted
Reply to post by Guy, on January 18, 2003 at 23:46:00:

Yes, the City paid to have the trench done. At that time no thought was given to the damage to the trees.

Report This Post
<Reed>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Swain, on January 19, 2003 at 14:54:22:

"at that time no thought was given to the damage to the trees".

That reminds me of the Joint Chiefs-of-Staff being told yesterday that any deviation from the President's position on Iraq will be considered treason.

Have war will win. They think so, but no thought has been given to the damage to the world.

Master's degree in landscape design from A&M - he told me also that roots don't matter. I tire of stupidity, especially from experts.

Report This Post