Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  The Underground World    Roots & Pollarding

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Roots & Pollarding
 Login/Join 
<Ken Six>
posted
Does anyone know what the growth rate pattern of roots on a tree thats been pollarded once a year? Would the roots keep growing out horizontaly while the tree remains small? How do auxins come into play? Thanks, Ken Six

Report This Post
<Bob W>
posted
Reply to post by Ken Six, on July 13, 2000 at 08:52:37:

I would assume that a dramatic reduction of leaf area from pollarding would have a corresponding effect on root growth because those potential sugars are no longer available to create horizontal outreach and diameter expansion. As the tree regained leaves, root growth would be among the first beneficiaries.

Bob Wulkowicz

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Ken Six, on July 13, 2000 at 08:52:37:

Root growth will always follow the programmed or genetic pattern, modified by the soil structure, of course. Various treatments to the top of the plant will affect the rate of growth, but not so much the character of that growth.

An example: I recently helped dig out some old azaleas. 2 had bee left to grow, and were about 4 feet tall w/ equal spread. 6 had bee repeatedly sheared to a hedge-like form, about 2.5 feet high, and kep that way for probably 15 or 20 years. Root systems were not discerably different within about 5 feet of the base.

It's a leap of faith to say that this applies to all trees and shrubs, though. I think there would only be the difference of growth rates from reduced carbohydrate production.

Report This Post
<r g>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on July 13, 2000 at 08:52:37:

Dear Russ,
Please excuse an obvious question: Why would a small tree need a huge root system? As annual pollard crown pruning restricts quantity of growing shoots, surely root growth adapts?!?
Kind regards
RG

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by r g, on July 17, 2000 at 02:39:50:

There will probably be a difference in root density, and perhaps over time in root length. Less top growth means less energy for the root system. But over long periods, the root system will still develop olong the lines of the normal tree. If you confine the top growth to a smaller space, that does not mean the roots will be correspondingly confined. Total root volume is less because of less fine absorbing roots. But the growth pattern will be much the same.

No, I don't have empirical data on this. Would love to see some.

Report This Post
<Geoff Martin>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on September 03, 2000 at 19:30:32:

Love your site.

I am desperate to get some info in whether pollarding restricts root growth, as presumably there will be less input from the ground. Reason being that since abolition of pollarding down my street all the pavements have been damaged and I am worried about root encroachment to the houses of plane trees which are less then 5 metres away from the trees.

Already there is damage to my wall

cheers

geoff martin

Report This Post