Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  The Underground World    Liminal angles of different species roots

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Liminal angles of different species roots
 Login/Join 
<josh>
posted
I am a tree officer in London and would like to know of any research and/or literature regarding the liminal angles of different species. (This is the angle that the root joins the tree stem at.)
This is to ensure that next planting season we plant trees that will not cause as much footway disruption as species that send out roots at a near horizontal angle.

Report This Post
<Wulkowicz>
posted
Reply to post by josh, on May 22, 2002 at 10:18:43:

Wow! You certainly did send me off on a search for liminals and I still didn't find a reference to the are you're speaking of. (Yes, I know, Winston.)

Part poetic, much metaphysical, somewhat mathematical but no easy link to your interest.

Is your assumption that an original connection angle will continue and therefore all roots will be at a predefined depth at a certain distance from a tree trunk?

I don't think you'll find trees in keeping with that idea. A buttress angle will likely not be a root angle, and, the travel of roots at a certain level seems more dictated by the composition and conditions of the soils rather than any predetermination of how deep to lie underground.

If the soils are hostile, roots move closer to the surface. The rule of thumb, whatever that means, is generally 18 to 24 inches deep for the majority of the roots. In a very clayey, suffocating soil, most roots prefer to travel on, or up next to, the surface.

I understand your intention, but I don't think you'll get trees to cooperate. They make their own decisions about soils and availability of gas exchange.

This is not to discourage you; your instincts might very well be correct. The hardest part is to find the additional support necessary to persuade the large community of know-everythings.

BTW, I threw away the word liminal and did much better. One reference is to Nicklas Plant Biometrics which lists some angles for 13 conifers. And I included a link, but most everything I looked up on admittedly short notice is distant from what you want.

Good Luck,

bob

Report This Post
<me again>
posted
Reply to post by Wulkowicz, on May 22, 2002 at 10:18:43:

Well, I was told the URL was too long--after I sent it irretrievably (?) in, so here it is with the constipations of web board designers.

http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:iUInvMvauDYC:heronpublishing.com/tree/files/domain/data/vol16/16-891.pdf+connection+angles+for+tree+roots&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by josh, on May 22, 2002 at 10:18:43:

Well, I thought I posted a response to this yessterday, but I guess it got lost.

Takes a look at the citation list in the Nicoll and Ray article Bob posted the link for. You'll see a lot of the researchers on root architecture are there in the UK. Search also on Roland Ennos, Crook and Ennos, Alexia Stokes. There is a pretty substantial literature on root architecture, which is itself a term you might search on.

Bob's other reference is probably Prof. Karl Niklas (no "c") at Cornell.

Report This Post