Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  The Underground World    Oaks and Poison Ivy

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Oaks and Poison Ivy
 Login/Join 
<Christine>
posted
Hi again!
I have a gorgeous, very tall, mature oak. Unfortunately, it's COVERED with poison ivy. The vines are thicker than my husband's thigh.

I asked him to sever the roots with the chain saw, and have been carefully putting Round-Up on the severed ends of the poison ivy. I've been trying extremely hard not to get any on the tree.

My question is how to get the poison ivy off the tree once it's dead? Will it damage the tree to pull it off? I'm afraid those horrible, hairy roots might harm the bark.

Also, is there care and feeding I need to know about oaks? This one is rather spindly way up, because it's never been taken care of. It's so beautiful I want to maintain it.

Thanks,

Christine
 
Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by Christine, on April 04, 2003 at 13:43:10:

Yes the holdfasts from the vine will take off some outer bark. Not likely fatal, but best to wait until vine is dry-dead and "lets go".

An arborist can help you manage the oak tree. See www.asca-consultants.org or www.isa-arbor.com
 
Report This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  

Closed Topic Closed

Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  The Underground World    Oaks and Poison Ivy

© 1997-2003 Tree Tech Consulting. All messages are the property of the original author.