Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  The Underground World    Hydrogen PeroxideHeating Oil and tree roots

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Hydrogen PeroxideHeating Oil and tree roots
 Login/Join 
<Jim Martin>
posted
A client had an underground tank for heating oil. It corrouded and leaked some unknown volume of oil into the soil. As part of the remediation process he is having another contractor make several injections of Hydrogen Peroxide into the contaminated area.

The tank has been removed and after the injections have been made, the client wants us to plant a large tree right over where the tank was located and guarantee its' survival.

Has anyone had any experience with this process? If so were there any adverse effects from the treatment of the resultant byproducts to plant material?

Thank you,

Report This Post
<Wulkowicz>
posted
Reply to post by Jim Martin, on April 11, 2002 at 15:52:20:

Your planned site for a new tree has had at least 3 major interventions. The first, the leaking of home-heating oil into the surrounding soils, Second, the physical removal of the tank which includes layer disruption, compaction and whatever other mechanical disturbances were generously provided. Lastly, a hydrogen peroxide remediation that probably has a single goal of chemical cleanup with little regard to the organic life support systems of the soils.

I don't much about h200 stuff, but I'm pleased to try and look it up.

My first advice; step away. A guarantee is silly. Let the owner have the h200 boys put in the tree and warrantree it. They must know better. Right?

Bob Wulkowicz

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Jim Martin, on April 11, 2002 at 15:52:20:

Check this site! http://www.h2o2.com/

They have some great information on h2o2 use for cleaning contaminated soils. The link below is an article that describes the process.

From this, I think you need to get a lot of questions ansered. Who will apply the treatment, and are they qualified? What followup testing will they do to assure they have properly and thoroughly decontaminated? How long will it take to do this? What other additives are needed (iron?)? What condition will the soil be in afterward (pH, etc)? How deep does the contamination go, and how deep will the treatment go?

It sounds like this treatment will probably wipe out most rhizosphere organisms. You should plan on reinoculating the area, perhaps with some of the mycorrhizal products available (this is what they were originally tested on- contaminated mine spoils)

As Bob suggested, you would do well to avoid any guarantees on the plant material until you can be sure of the results. You might want to suggest a few trial plants that don't cost a lot, until you are sure a large tree will survive there.

Report This Post
<TRRao>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on April 11, 2002 at 15:52:20:

Hydrogen Peroxide is not ideal system for oil spill contamination. Basically, it acts as a strong biocide and it will recue the beneficial micro-organisms from the soil.

What I would recommend is Encapsol at 6% cocentration injected at various points directly into the soil. This product is marvellous and it will bioremediate the oil contamination. The best thins is that this is a non-toxix, bio-degradable, water based chemical that will eliminate the hydrocarbons and aids the growth of indigenous microbes who will aid in the natural clean up process.

Let me know, if I can be of further assistance

Report This Post