Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  The Underground World    will pruning stop root growth

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
will pruning stop root growth
 Login/Join 
<brian>
posted
I have a liquidambar styraciflua (sweet gum) and it is growing too fast. If I prune it severely and keep it pruned will that also stop the roots growing further?

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by brian, on August 16, 2002 at 08:43:39:

No, you'd have to prune the roots too. If you like to cut things regularly, almost any plant can be treated like bonsai. It may not be pretty or healthy but it can be done.

Report This Post
<brian>
posted
Reply to post by guy, on August 16, 2002 at 08:43:39:

Thanks for your quick replies. If I cut the tree down to 4 metres, say, and kept it at that height, how long would the roots grow and in what timescale?

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by brian, on August 16, 2002 at 11:35:30:

whacking your tree in half will slow the roots but how much is impossible to predict. If it's good garden soil, they are aggressive. You would have to prune them too. Regularly.
Bottom line, replacement looks like the most reasonable option from here.

Report This Post
<brian>
posted
Reply to post by guy, on August 16, 2002 at 12:19:16:

Thanks Guy - Are you saying that liquidambar roots are particularly aggressive. If so, I'm beginning to think that, all things considered, the tree will have to go.

Report This Post