Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  The Underground World    roots and clay soils

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
roots and clay soils
 Login/Join 
<joe>
posted
Hello;

I'd like some insight to a question. After reading some of the threads at this site, and reading from Modern Arboriculture by Alex Shigo, I'm wondering how removing a tree in clay soils affects structures. If a tree aids with damaging structures, does removing the tree stop the effect? I'm getting info removing the tree can possibly make the structural damage worse.

Thanks for any help or insights.

Joe

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by joe, on July 14, 2002 at 00:24:43:

Where are you located, Joe? The type of clay soil makes a big difference. Certain types of expansive clays are much more of a problem than other types.

Trees are thought to draw moisture out of the soil, causing expansive clays to shrink, leading to uneven settling and structural damage to buildings. Cutting the tree down kills the roots and stops drawing out moisture, but then there are the effects of settling due to decomposition of the roots, and potentially of rewetting of the soils and causing expansion again. I haven't studied this very extensively, but I suggest yoube careful of the sources, and get all the information you can before cutting a viable tree down. It may not be necessary in your particular case.

Report This Post
<joe>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on July 14, 2002 at 00:24:43:

Thank you for the reply Russ.

I learned the clay/tree relationship to construction damage idea by reading Modern Arboriculture authored by Alex Shigo. I understand there's a lot of information needed to determine whether the location of a tree is contributing to foundation damage of structures. This question is meant to get the ball rolling for me to start thinking about tree/soil/architecture relationships. The question is not in relation to any current or past circumstances I've encountered where I needed information to guide another individual towards a decision. This is the best part of having brought this question to this particular discussion board. It may mean I'll have some previous insight to the problem if I ever need it.

Would you be willing to recommend some reading material that is pertinent to this particular subject? I at the least own Modern Arboriculture by Alex Shigo and Arboriculture by Harris, Clark, and Matheny.

Joe

Report This Post
<Jerry>
posted
Reply to post by Joe, on July 21, 2002 at 21:43:18:

Try this as a start:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/info-handout/clays/

Report This Post
<Zvonka>
posted
Reply to post by joe, on July 14, 2002 at 00:24:43:

Today I asked about that in Lomonosov's Moscow State University, Soil Science Department, Chear of Soil Phisics. They said:

Removing the tree can possibly make the structural damage worse or won't affect the structures at all.

Report This Post