New
Find
Notify
Tools
Tree Wells
 Login/Join 
<Steven Aboud>
posted
I am looking for technical details and design specifications for the construction of tree wells and tree well air vents. There is available information about concepts but I've yet to find hard details. If you know of any please let me know where you saw it and how to get it too! Thanks

Report This Post
<Peter Torres>
posted
Reply to post by Steven Aboud, on January 08, 2003 at 14:20:14:

Did you look in Dr. Harris's recent edition?>

Report This Post
<Chris Plunkett>
posted
Reply to post by Steven Aboud, on January 08, 2003 at 14:20:14:

Although diagrams of tree wells complete with elaborate aeration systems can be found, I would not bother. I have seen little evidence that they actually work. Unless you are willing to extend the well to cover a significant portion of the root system (perhaps to the drip line) they are useless. Changing the grade around a tree usually takes 3-5 years to cause visible decline so people often get the impression that a well is working when a tree looks good for a couple of years following construction. Don't waste the time and money. Either protect tree roots from compaction and grade change during construction or remove the tree.

Report This Post