Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Ethics in Arboriculture    Planting imported trees in forest

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Planting imported trees in forest
 Login/Join 
posted
What do you think about planting imported trees in forest. Is it ethical?

I wonder if it harms the local ecosystem 'cause if you put new species, you put another competitors for the native species. (?)

Ex: I'm from Quebec, Canada. I found many norway spruce (picea abies) in the forest.
I don't know if it was planted by the industry. Maybe I was walking on a private land (private territory in the forest). Anyway, the trees can reproduce and become established in many places... !!!

Posts: 5 | Location: La Malbaie, Québec, Canada | Registered: Wednesday September 10, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel that in a comercial woodland, being felled for production then it is better for the industry to plant imported tree's for there the fact they are quik growing and better timber quality, In scotland for example most of our woodland consists of Sitka Spruce, Larch and norway spruce, non of which are local tree's.
But in a community woodland or parks and play areas, even schools and town centre's I feel we should plant native species and be proud of what our country has to offer, unfortunately council's and firms nowadays are more concerned with what is asphetically pleasing than anything else. Now all our comercial woodlands have worked there way into the community creating more and more competition for our native tree's and the general public are growing fast grown impoted tree's.
In a nutshell, People should be more aware of what they are planting and the "long term" effect it will have on our ecosystem and try to preserve what we have in the first place.

Posts: 3 | Location: Ayrshire, Scotland, UK | Registered: Tuesday November 25, 2003Report This Post