Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Insects & Disease    Bleeding from pruning cuts on Eastern White Pine

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Bleeding from pruning cuts on Eastern White Pine
 Login/Join 
<Rick Lipsitt>
posted
I'm a Municipal Arborist in Burlington Ontario . Located on city property is a Magnificant White Pine in Good Condition . Lower limbs where removed for clearence 2 years ago . Ever since that time the limbs have been weeping from the pruning cuts . This of coarse is over the driveway and weeps on the drive way and the resident car . The resident has beem requesting the tree be removed and this will be going to our city Councill . I have consulted with fellow arborist who are all of the opinion the tree will stop bleeding . We have tried other things such as wrapping burlap and tree kote from Davey Tree with no luck . I'm concerned if I can't stop the bleeding city Councill may side with the resdent and the tree will be removed .
I would appreciate any help or idea's our sharing of experiences . Thanks Rick Lipsitt

Report This Post
<Mark>
posted
I've read that shellac can sometimes stop sap leakage, but I have yet to try it. How big are the pruning cuts?
There are large Ponderosa Pines on my residential property, and Chinese Pistache street trees at work. Both kinds of trees drip sap on my cars. It isn't such a big deal. Mayonaise works well to cut through the sap on car finish and glass.
Too bad if dripping sap is reason enough to remove a good tree! Sap drip is seasonal anyway.

Report This Post
<Rick Lipsitt>
posted
Mark: The pruning cuts are 3 to 4 inches in diameter . I agree it would be a injustice to remove a tree for this reason . I'm afraid if one tree goes it will set a precident that could jepordize other trees . Thanks for you assistance . Rick

Report This Post