Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Insects & Disease    Bacterial canker in Norway maples

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Bacterial canker in Norway maples
 Login/Join 
Russ Carlson
posted
I've been seeing a few of these that are loosing entire leads/sections. We start seeing small patches of ooze from cracks, diminutive leaves and short terminal growth, then the next year the lead will not leaf out.

These have been on jobs for my climbing clients, and we have not been able to get people to pay for any lab work, I've been concidering sending a sample off myself, just for the learning experiance.

Cambial layer looks clear to the unaided eye, sapwood is stained brownish green to green and smells foul. At first i thought it was some sort of algal problem, but that would need light, no?

older superations are amber and crysaline,

2 days after a limb is cut the wound is schmeary and black.

John Paul Sanborn
Consulting Arborist/Subcontracting Arborist
SE Wisconsin
414-379-0442

Posts: 7 | Location: MKE, WI USofA | Registered: Saturday August 30, 2003Report This Post
Russ Carlson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn:
I've been seeing a few of these that are loosing entire leads/sections. We start seeing small patches of ooze from cracks, diminutive leaves and short terminal growth, then the next year the lead will not leaf out.

These have been on jobs for my climbing clients, and we have not been able to get people to pay for any lab work, I've been concidering sending a sample off myself, just for the learning experiance.

Cambial layer looks clear to the unaided eye, sapwood is stained brownish green to green and smells foul. At first i thought it was some sort of algal problem, but that would need light, no?

John Paul Sanborn
SE Wisconsin
414-379-0442

John Paul Sanborn
SE Wisconsin
414-379-0442

Posts: 7 | Location: MKE, WI USofA | Registered: Saturday August 30, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

John Paul Sanborn
SE Wisconsin
414-379-0442

John Paul Sanborn
SE Wisconsin
414-379-0442

John: To start, I used Pirone's 5th ed. It describes your symptoms in the book.

phytophthora cactorum

bleeding canker

Joe

[This message was edited by joe on Sunday November 16, 2003 at 06:10 PM.]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Tuesday July 29, 2003Report This Post