Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Insects & Disease    Leopard moth Zeuzera pyrina

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Leopard moth Zeuzera pyrina
 Login/Join 
<Russ Carlson>
posted
There is an infestation of leopard moth in southeastern Pennsylvania, most noticably on oaks, that are apparently causing significant loss of twigs, and sometimes resulting in decline and twig and branch dieback. I have not been able to find any recommended control measures. Does anyone have suggestions or sources on controling this problem? Anyone with experience with it?

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on May 27, 1999 at 22:43:07:

Russ, I've just had some e-mail correspondence with Brian Smith concerning what has been identified as Leopard Moth damage on a number of Tilia which came out of a nursery in PA or MD 3-4 years ago.

It was identified by the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station. I don't know if there was any discussion of control or management. Are you out there Brian?

Report This Post
<Brian Smith>
posted

Cornell "U" has no control measures listed in their "recomends publication" Dr. Greg Hoover of Penn. State(bug guy) is the person I would go to for recommendations, if any exist. I am checking on it from my end because, as Scott said in the earlier thread, we are seeing alot of new trees from the MD\PA area with it. :-(
Tilia mostly however recently it has been found, or shall I say noticed, on new oaks too.
(The Damage Is similar to that of the dreaded Asian Longhorned Beetle)
(I'm starting to see a trend here, nudge nudge, wink wink :-( . It would almost appear that someone "unloaded" inferior plant stock in the Northeast. If I do find or hear of a control measure I will be sure to forward it to you.

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Brian Smith, on May 27, 1999 at 22:43:07:

Brian, I found a good description of the pset, with some photo links at
http://www.jouy.inra.fr/HYPPZ/RAVAGEUR/6zeupyr.htm

Still no control measures or recommendations.

Report This Post
<hossein moradi>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on June 02, 1999 at 17:32:50:

Report This Post
<Zahra Rafiei>
posted
Reply to post by Brian Smith, on May 27, 1999 at 22:43:07:

I require any information about control of Zeuzera pyrina with light trap or pheromone or meecanical methods.
Thanks

Report This Post
<lahbib raja>
posted

Report This Post
<David>
posted
see http://www.exosect.com, they have a product they wish to trial for Zeuzera pyrina, Leopard Moth

Report This Post
<David>
posted
Try that link again, without the comma: http://www.exosect.com

Report This Post
<David>
posted
Although it isnt isted on their site, email Exosect as I know they do stuff for Leopard moth

Report This Post
<Mahmoud sadjadi>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Zahra Rafiei:
Reply to post by Brian Smith, on May 27, 1999 at 22:43:07:<br /><br /> I require any information about control of Zeuzera pyrina with light trap or pheromone or meecanical methods.<br />Thanks

Report This Post