Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Insects & Disease    Brown patches on Autumn Blaze Maple

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Brown patches on Autumn Blaze Maple
 Login/Join 
<Clare>
posted
Please can anyone help?! I planted a 6ft tall Autumn Blaze Maple tree in October. This spring it produced a lot of beautiful healthy leaves. Then just this week they are wilting and there are brown patches on them(including new shoots)and are brown round the edges. I have watered quite frequently and fertilized. What could be the problem? Thank you.
Clare
Minnesota.

Report This Post
<Mark Goodwin>
posted
Reply to post by Clare, on June 01, 2003 at 20:19:47:

Read the Q&A at the bottom of the site linked below. It's amazingly similar. Apparently it is a common problem with red maple cultivars in the northern plain states.

Leaf wilting and necrosis are often indicative of disrupted water transport. Ironically, it may sometimes be the result of too much water in the root zone (drowning). Roots require sufficient oxygen to perform necessary respiration. Excessive water (poor drainage or flooding), anaerobic conditions due to compaction, or root disease or damage can also result in water stress (so can lack of adequate water). Sudden new demands for increased water transport (hot, dry, windy weather) can set up a stress that a damaged water transport system can't keep up with.
Trees that are root-bound when planted, or whose roots were damaged by drying, cutting/breaking, will be at risk. Excessive salts (see fertilizers) can make water uptake nearly impossible. Soggy soil not only suffocates roots, it also can change other qualities of the soil environment that make it hostile to tree roots (see effects of flooding on soils).
On the other hand it could be a poorly adapted tree selection for the conditions that prevail in your locale. Perhaps another selection would be more suitable?

Report This Post
<Clare>
posted
Reply to post by Clare, on June 01, 2003 at 20:19:47:

Thank you so much for your help Mark. I actually think I may not have watering enough...as it's been windy here lately and that is something you mentioned. I'll try that!
Clare

Report This Post
<Teri>
posted
Re: tree selection

I live in Stillwater, MN (zone 4) and have room for a nice large shade tree. The area is not normally wet... it is a normal part of our yard... in full sun. I was hoping to have red fall color. Would a red maple developed for the northern US be okay for this spot in your opinion?

Thanks very much.
Teri

Report This Post