Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Insects & Disease    birch tree disease

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
birch tree disease
 Login/Join 
<wilf smith>
posted
I HAVE A BIRCH TREE THAT HAS DIED. IS LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING HAS BEEN BORING IN TO IT .
THE TRUNK AND BRANCHES HAVE HUNDREDS OF HOLES IN THEM.
IT DOESN'T APPEAR TO HAVE SPREAD TO ANY OTHER BIRCH I HAVE IN THE YARD YET.
ANY IDEAS.

Report This Post
<John Paul Sanborn>
posted
Reply to post by wilf smith, on May 25, 2001 at 22:52:56:

Sounds like Bronze Birch Borer, you need to call in a professional to examine the other trees for infestation

this pest can be found in most birch, paper birch is extreamly suseptible. It is called opertunistic du to its ability to infest stressed trees. Which most paper birch in a landscape setting are.

Cultural things you can do are mulch, and under-plant to keep the soil cool in the summer, this is especialy critical in aras with full afternoon sun, like a south west slope. Water regularly to keep the soil moist but well drained. Fertilizer is sometimes needed, I feel that it should have more than the N,P,K that most are sold, other parts of the menue from Mr. Hopkins Cafe (the mnomic for minor elements) should be included.

Report This Post
<john paul mcmillin>
posted
Reply to post by wilf smith, on May 25, 2001 at 22:52:56:

it definately sounds like the bronze birch borer. try planting monarch birch Betula maximowicziana or river birch Betula nigra, they seem to be resistant to the bronze birch borer. The holes are actuall the exit holes, are they D shaped and do they have an orange or bronze color?

Report This Post
<Mark Goodwin>
posted
Reply to post by John Paul Sanborn, on May 25, 2001 at 22:52:56:

Here are some more sites dealing with borers:

http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/Insects/g1210.htm

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/IPM/ento/j530e.html

Report This Post
<Clyde Wear>
posted
Reply to post by Mark Goodwin, on May 26, 2001 at 09:01:06:

I have a Birch tree that the top branches of it are bending over expremely. The top has bent over and died. I don't see any shininess to the leaves indicating aphids. I have checked the bark to see if there are any markings that look strange but I can't find any. I had to cut out a couple of top branches, they were bent so bad. The general health of the tree looks bad. Any ideas?

Report This Post
<Steve Hayes>
posted
Reply to post by Clyde Wear, on May 26, 2001 at 23:30:38:

Sorry I can't help BUT today (1st June)in the Wyre Forest (Worcestershire - UK) I noticed that a large number of Birch trees were bent right over with the tops touching the ground (these trees all were 15 - 20 foot tall). Hence my search for some info, at least it is not only your tree

Report This Post