Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Insects & Disease    Lost 6 Maple trees that were 10 yrs old HELP

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Lost 6 Maple trees that were 10 yrs old HELP
 Login/Join 
<Larry>
posted
I have my drive lined with nice transplanted maples 7 yrs ago all over 15 feet, over this winter 6 are dead all have a green like spongy fungus growth, noticed all my trees including my 2 plums have it also but not as bad as the dead maples, what can i do to survive my other 20 maples and 2 plums????? Desperate in Michigan

Report This Post
<Mark Goodwin>
posted
Reply to post by Larry, on May 07, 2003 at 06:37:46:

Diagnosing and advising remedies for tree problems is difficult, at best, when done remotely.
Your best bet is to get a local, qualified arborist to inspect the trees and their context.
Just from your location I would suspect you may have freeze damage, if the trees are truly dead.
The green substance you describe may be moss, algae, or lichen, things which may indicate prolonged wet conditions, but not generally considered damaging in themselves.

Not to insult you intelligence, but how did you determine that the trees are dead?
Also, How and from where were the trees transplanted? (i.e. by professionals, ball and burlap, from a nursery, from the wild, etc.?)
Were there other stresses on these trees that you are aware of, such as drought, salt from de-icing, exceptionally low temperatures, late flush of growth before first frost, etc.?
There are many ways that trees are placed under stress.

Report This Post
<Larry>
posted
Reply to post by Mark Goodwin, on May 07, 2003 at 06:37:46:

Trees were dug up from wild 10 yrs ago and transplanted done very well till this year exceptionally cold and long winter, the dead ones have no buds whatso ever and some still have dead leaves from last year. All the other trees are in full bloom. Trees were transplanted 20 feet apart, no other stresses besides this extremely cold winter we had, thanks

Report This Post
<Mark Goodwin>
posted
Reply to post by larry, on May 07, 2003 at 11:24:07:

I found listing of six maple species native to Michigan:
Silver, Striped, Sugar, Red, and Black maples, and Box elder. Do you know which of these are the kind you have? It is pretty easy to look them up on the Internet for pictures of leaves, descriptions, and such. Once you know what kind of maples they are, you can read about what kind of conditions favor them or harm them.

As for the trees that retained old dead leaves, I would consider the possibility they died during the end of the growing season, before they could form a leaf abscission layer.

Even when transplanted trees have survived for several years after they are moved, they may be much more prone to stresses due to their initial root losses during the move. Weather conditions that are extreme will affect the weakest trees the most.

Were the trees growing in less than 100% light? A light deficit caused by competition will translate to lower stored food reserves. This can then translate to lessened resistance to stresses.

What size were the trees when you moved them (caliper of trunk, height)? How much bigger did they get over the 10 years? Generally, transplanted trees can take about two or three years just to settle into their new place before they begin to grow vigorously. Were the trees that died growing vigorously, or were they lagging behind the others? Also, have they experienced drought during any of those years?
How (how often, how deep?) were the trees irrigated during their establishment? Is there good water penetration and drainage? Have any of them been damaged by line trimmers, mowers, or animals? (bark damage to trunk?) Any sign of frost cracks or sunscald?

Report This Post