Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Insects & Disease    Autumn Blaze Maple

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Autumn Blaze Maple
 Login/Join 
<Mike Tillaart>
posted
Hi Guys:
We have a customer that has planted Autumn
Blaze maples about a year ago, this past winter has
left the stems with large cracks every were. The
tree is healing at present but has suffered, what has
been the cause and how can it be prevented to happen
in the future. I feel if this were to continue next winter
the tree will not survive.

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by Mike Tillaart, on November 16, 2002 at 08:02:02:

Bark damage on young maples all too common. Cause is sudden temperature change; look to see if most of the damage is on the sunny side.
Aggravating factors can be girdling roots inhibiting sap flow; most maples in my area have this problem, and too-early removal of lower branches which exposes bark.

Wrapping trunks is growing out of favor because it can create problems. Painting with white latex paint is still being done here

Report This Post
<Aceraceae>
posted
On the web site poplarfarms.com, it says, " we have found that high rates of nitrogen will give amazing results and will eliminate most of the splitting problems associated with maples due to verticillium wilt."

I don't know if that's the type of "splitting" they mean, but that's what came to mind. Razz

Report This Post