Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Insects & Disease    HELP!!!carpenter ant nest/gaping hole

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
HELP!!!carpenter ant nest/gaping hole
 Login/Join 
<doreen>
posted
Can anyone tell me the proper way to repair a beautiful oak which has been damaged at the lower trunk by carpenter ant infestation. I have chiseled away the loose wood -- and unfortunately it is a deep wound. the tree is huge -- 100 feet or more -- and I wondered if I need to fill the gap which the nest created, or simply clean out and spray/or paint with wound care and let the tree heal itself (hopefully) any suggestions greatly appreciated\!

Report This Post
<peter>
posted
I think youu are supposed to post that question on the Ask the Experts page.

Report This Post
<Billy Davis>
posted
Just a little info on the situation. Fisrt of trees dont heal the seal or compartamentalize. Healing is the regrowth of tissue, if trees healed then we would not have hollow trees. Second the carpenter ants are actually being more benifical than harmful. The ants will only eat the dead wood not the living wood, so what they are actually doing is cleaning out the wound, reducing moisture, and hopefully more decay. However the fact thatyour tree is hollow could mean that there are other problems that have happend in the past, ex. root damage, and you should have the tree inspected by a certified arborist.

Report This Post