Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Insects & Disease    white pine disease

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
white pine disease
 Login/Join 
<Peter Larson>
posted
what would cause tips to brown in white pine?
fungus? mites?

Report This Post
<Mark Goodwin>
posted
Reply to post by Peter Larson, on May 18, 2003 at 20:05:55:

First, I'm not an expert on tree diseases, although I am very interested.
Many clues may help in answering a question about apparent disease in any tree.
It helps to know the tree species (eastern or western white pine?), site conditions (especially if there is exposure to pollutants, such as salt, etc.),
weather history (drought, excessive heat or cold, flooding?), and observations for known pests.

Tip browning can be caused by a number of factors, including water stress. It may be best to ask for advice from a more local expert, whether University Extension or arborist.
If you know that de-icing salt is not used in the area, then that can be ruled out. If you find insects associated with the needles, have them identified to find out if they are cause for concern.

See the linked site and look up trees under Pinus to find white pines. There is some information on damaging agents, but not diagnostic information.

Report This Post
<Peter Torres>
posted

Weevils, sometimes, especially the growing leader.

Report This Post
<Mark Goodwin>
posted

For some reason I was thinking "needle tips" rather than branch tips when I read your post.
The linked sites have pictures of the damage caused by this weevil, for comparison with your tree.
http://www.uidaho.edu/so-id/entomology/beetles.htm

Report This Post