Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Tools & Techniques    Litmus paper - pH chemistry

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Litmus paper - pH chemistry
 Login/Join 
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Last time I asked at a pharmacy for litmus paper they did not know what I was talking about. Any suggestions for sources?

Are there different sensitivities of litmus paper or sensitivities to different ranges for different purposes?

Scott

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on January 13, 1999 at 17:49:48:

Check places like The World of Science, or Nature Company. Local science shops may also have the paper.

There are many kinds, and many ranges. Some give the nearest whole value from 1 to 14, others may have a very narrow range. Some can give pH to nearest tenth point over a small range. And some just tell you acid or basic.

Depending on the purpose, there are also soil test kits that use liquid solutions to get the pH. The most reliable though are the electronic wands now available. For $30 or $40, they are accrurate to 0.1 or 0.2 pH, and relatively easy to use. You mix the soil with distilled water, mix well, then measure with the wand. Only takes a few minutes on site.

Report This Post
<Craig Jabs>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on January 13, 1999 at 17:49:48:

Where do you get this "magical" wand?

Report This Post
<Ed Milhous>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on January 13, 1999 at 17:49:48:

Carolina Biological Supply Company is a great source for all sorts of stuff, including litmus paper. (800-334-5551)

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Craig Jabs, on January 13, 1999 at 22:52:27:

Most of the arborist supply houses now carry it. You can check with American Arborist or Forestry Suppliers. A lot of the other outfits carry them, too.

Report This Post
<sandhya prasad>
posted
I want information about litmus paper.

Report This Post
<sandhya>
posted
I want a information of a litmus paper.So, please this is urgent please send me.

from one student
sandhya.

Report This Post