Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Tools & Techniques    JP Carlton 4400-4 Stump Machine

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
JP Carlton 4400-4 Stump Machine
 Login/Join 
<John R Sarti>
posted
If anyone has had problems with this portable machine, or the 3500 -4 especially the polybelt, call me at 973-365-1643, or post your comments.

Report This Post
<Dan Nelson>
posted
Reply to post by John R Sarti, on January 31, 2000 at 10:17:44:

John,
We have a Carlton 4400-4 stump grinder that has had 3 major problems in less than a year. Our problems have centered around the propelling drive motor and brake. Each time Carlton has paid to have the repair work done but soon our warranty will run out. This motor/brake asembly cost over $1,100.
Dan

Report This Post
<John R Sarti>
posted
Reply to post by Dan Nelson, on January 31, 2000 at 10:17:44:

Thank you for your comments on the 4400-4 Carlton. I have had so much trouble with this machine, and 5 other Tree companies in North Jersey are having the same problems. We went through 2 bearings, 1 sprocket, 6 polydrive belts, 2 drive motor repairs, a new battery, wiring repairs, gussetts, and extensive welding.
The Dealer isn't honoring the warranty, and Carlton isn't responding. We have 350 hours on this machine. All the problems occured within the first 12 months. We're stuck with this machine.

Report This Post
<Robert Hanson>
posted
Reply to post by Dan Nelson, on January 31, 2000 at 10:17:44:

I have owned a 13Hp Praxis Stump Machine for over a year now.
I sharpen the teeth regularly and this machine has worked unbelievably well with no problems and has paid for it's self in four months and it has plenty of power.
Bob's Tree Service

Report This Post
<andrew strobert>
posted
Reply to post by Robert Hanson, on January 31, 2000 at 23:56:00:

Report This Post
<andrew strobert>
posted
Reply to post by Robert Hanson, on January 31, 2000 at 23:56:00:

i am thinging of buying a 4400 4 stump grinder

Report This Post
<Dave>
posted
Reply to post by John R Sarti, on January 31, 2000 at 23:56:00:

do you want to sell
if so pleas email me directly with a price
thaks
david

Report This Post
<Oasis tree service>
posted
I also own a Praxis Stump Machine. I have the stumps removed before my competitors even showed up to do the estimate.

Report This Post
<Daniel D>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by John R Sarti:
Reply to post by Dan Nelson, on January 31, 2000 at 10:17:44:<br /><br /> Thank you for your comments on the 4400-4 Carlton. I have had so much trouble with this machine, and 5 other Tree companies in North Jersey are having the same problems. We went through 2 bearings, 1 sprocket, 6 polydrive belts, 2 drive motor repairs, a new battery, wiring repairs, gussetts, and extensive welding.<br />The Dealer isn't honoring the warranty, and Carlton isn't responding. We have 350 hours on this machine. All the problems occured within the first 12 months. We're stuck with this machine.

I have an SP4012 and went through multiple polychains in a short period. we determined that the cutter wheel bearings had too much resistance which caused the polychain to slip at engagement wearing the teeth on the sprocket making them sharp which in turn cut into the polychain. after replacing all at the same time and paying special attention to bearing maitenance (daily grease) we have yet to have any issues.

Report This Post