Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Tools & Techniques    stump grinding advice needed

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
stump grinding advice needed
 Login/Join 
<Mark>
posted
I'm looking into setting up a stump grinding business here in the UK, anyone have experience or advice about the best approach, types of grinder I should be looking at?

Report This Post
<Mark Eveleigh>
posted
Reply to post by Mark, on September 09, 2002 at 08:33:37:

Hello Mark, I have done lots of grinding,might be a bit of help, just run a bath though , getting cold , will get back to you.

Report This Post
<John>
posted
Reply to post by Mark Eveleigh, on September 09, 2002 at 08:33:37:

I am a homeowner with two to three acres of land. I need a portable chipper to grind up pine limbs and a stumper to grind up tree stumps - 100 plus 14" diameter and less and 10 to 12 with 15" to 36" diameter. People have tried to sell me everything from a 12K Carlton up to a 24K machine without a name. I recently heard of the Huqvarna stumper at about $3500. Is this feasible? I have been told that it will easily grind down stumps up to 16" diameter, but I will have to take the larger stumps by quarters. As to the chipper, I heard of a Troybilt 10 hp at $859 and a Yard Machine (Home Depot) at $559. Can anyone give me advice on my situation and what I should buy? I considered hiring a stumper to do the work for me but the bids were out of the universe. Thanks. John

Report This Post
<jess>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by John:
_Reply to post by _Mark Eveleigh_, on September 09, 2002 at 08:33:37:_<br /><br />I am a homeowner with two to three acres of land. I need a portable chipper to grind up pine limbs and a stumper to grind up tree stumps - 100 plus 14" diameter and less and 10 to 12 with 15" to 36" diameter. People have tried to sell me everything from a 12K Carlton up to a 24K machine without a name. I recently heard of the Huqvarna stumper at about $3500. Is this feasible? I have been told that it will easily grind down stumps up to 16" diameter, but I will have to take the larger stumps by quarters. As to the chipper, I heard of a Troybilt 10 hp at $859 and a Yard Machine (Home Depot) at $559. Can anyone give me advice on my situation and what I should buy? I considered hiring a stumper to do the work for me but the bids were out of the universe. Thanks. John

Report This Post
<jess>
posted
John,
Depending on size and how many trees you have I would look in to hiring someone to fall all the trees And then rent a backhoe and a chipper at lease a 9" or above .dig the stumps up With the backhoe Make sure you leave about 5 to10 feet sticking up on the stumps it will make it easier to push them over I would get a hole some were on the property and bury the stumps the little chippers are a waste of your money for these job
Jess

Report This Post
<Bob>
posted
John,

Try going to the Home Depot tool rental and rental the Praxis stump grinder and make sure they give you a new blade with it. It may be cheaper than buying one.

Report This Post