Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Tools & Techniques    colour printers

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
colour printers
 Login/Join 
<Julian Dunster>
posted
Since we are close to the digital camera thread right now, does anyone have any information to contribute about colour printers? I am planning to get one soon so that I can scan in and add to the publication colour images rather than the current b/w images.

Any comments on the life of the colour prints (I hear they fade), life of the ink cartridges, colour contrast etc.

Thanks for any help the team has to offer.

Julian

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Julian Dunster, on June 28, 1999 at 10:50:28:

Here in the colonies we have color printers but I suspect all other things are equal.

Did a little research for a friend and have used the selected printer a very little. Here's what I've learned:

Quality goes up pretty quickly from the entry level to the next couple of notches. So does printing speed. Don't know if quality contimues to improve as you edge toward top end.

You want a printer that has a separate black cartridge, otherwise the printer combines those expensive colr inks to make black. Some prinetres require you to swap out the black and color cartridges, others have both on board which is less bother. Best seems to be four separate cartriges: Black and the three basic colors. That way you only replace the individuals that get used up, you're not tossing away an entire color unit just because the red is gone.

The most common and widely supported seem to be HP, Epson, Lexmark and Xerox in no particular order. HP seems to be bundling Kodak image handling software. Maybe the others do to.

Most intriguing to me are the HP models that handle up to 11x17" paper. Not necesarily for color (though you could burn up color ink fast that way $$$$$) but great for large sketches and plans and maps or extra large spread sheets. Want to check if special drivers are needed to have your spreadsheet print to that size. I think these are down around $500US now.

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Julian Dunster, on June 28, 1999 at 10:50:28:

Laseer printers will produce a higher quality, although the high res inkjets doa mighty fine job these days. The prints from lasers will probably last longer, as they use a toner 'burned' to the paper, vs. soluble inks.

For less than $300US you can get a printer that will make a good image at high res. Photo quality is more in the range of $400US to $500US.

Cartridge consumption depends on use and output. High res images generally use more ink. Look for comparative cartridge volume and cost. Some of the printers use a rather small cartridge. Also consider the resale market- recycled and refurbished cartridges. They are cheaper, but color uniformity may suffer. I've had good luck, so far.

Report This Post
<Bill Cassel>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on June 28, 1999 at 10:50:28:

The quality and use of printers depends on who you talk to. Computer whiz's either are epson or HP. I currently use an Epson 800. By slowing speed down and getting quality, the image isn't too bad. There is a 700 series epson that does much better, and about $250 american dollars. I have seen an HP being used with another department in the city, it is much better, but more expensive, $500.

Check out these two sites to compare. http://HP.com and http://epson.com. They have all of the printers (and other computer stuff) you can compare. One other note, the quality and finish of the print also depends alot on the quality of the paper or transparency you use. I have used regular, bright white for $12.00/500, up to photo paper, $1.00 per sheet, depending on the use.

Report This Post
<Ken Six>
posted
Reply to post by Bill Cassel, on June 29, 1999 at 23:00:18:

I have an HP2000C and I am very happy that I spent the extra money. Check one out! Ken

Report This Post
<discount ink printer cartridge>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on June 28, 1999 at 10:50:28:

Great Site! I'm Helen. I really like your site content, it's usefull and informative. Now I am working for online store selling discount inkjet printer cartridge. I find your site while searching for related sites and It's a pleasure to sign your guestbook. Thanks and Good Luck.

Report This Post
<discount ink printer cartridge>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on June 28, 1999 at 10:50:28:

Great Site! I'm Helen. I really like your site content, it's usefull and informative. Now I am working for online store selling discount inkjet printer cartridge. I find your site while searching for related sites and It's a pleasure to sign your guestbook. Thanks and Good Luck.

Report This Post