Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Tools & Techniques    Arbor Systems Trunk Injection

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Arbor Systems Trunk Injection
 Login/Join 
<Bob W>
posted
I have purchased the Arbor Systems trunk injector to manage Hemlock Wooly Adelgid on " Old Growth " hemlock ( 30 inch DBH and up )growing in undisturbed mountain forest soils. I am trying to stay away from soil drench methods due to my environmental concerns using imidacloprid in shallow organic soils on severe mountain slopes with a solid granite rockbed and with surface water present.

I have been experimenting with the tool on recently cut tree stumps. Loading the injector with plain water, I have been trying to teach myself differenet techniques to minimize material blow out.

I would like to hear from anyone that has experience with this equipment. My real interest is to find someone that has experience with trunk injections on large, massive trees.

Thanks for your interest,

Bob W.

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Bob W, on August 26, 2002 at 18:35:35:

Bob, have you talked directly to Chip? I'm sure he'll be willing to work with you til you get the technique down.

I've been looking at the injector for a few years, but I don't do all that many treatments now.

One way to reduce cambial separation might be to inject slowly. Adds to the time, but still much less than most other methods. How about a half-stroke injection, with twice the sites, maybe staggered vertically a few inches in a 'W' pattern (that doesn't stand for Wolkowicz )

let me know what works for you.

Report This Post
<Bob W>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on August 26, 2002 at 18:35:35:

I will pay $ 500.00 to anyone that can show me proof that Hemlock Wooly Adelgid can be controlled in +/-30 inch DBH hemlocks with this tool.

Report This Post