Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Tree & Landscape Valuation    Russian olive valuation

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Russian olive valuation
 Login/Join 
<Loretta>
posted
I am looking on some input on a tree appraisal I am getting ready to prepare. My client had two 8" DBH russian olives cut down by a neighbor. Russian olives in our neck of the woods are considered an invasive species in our few and far between wetlands and cannot be planted in Fort Collins. I am not sure how to deal with coming up with a species valuation, as the species is considered a weed, and is not planted any more. Yet I do feel that their trees were appropriate choices for the planting when it was done, and the trees should not be discounted for the fact that they can be a problem in the wrong location. Can anyone shed some light on how to value these trees and not be called on it. Thanks in advance, Loretta

Report This Post
<James Causton>
posted
Reply to post by Loretta, on September 30, 2002 at 21:35:59:

Hi Loretta, sounds to me like you might be walking on thin ice here but, the essential part of your post was, "Yet I do feel that their trees were appropriate choices for the planting when it was done, and the trees should not be discounted for the fact that they can be a problem in the wrong location." You need to take your feeling of "appropriety" of the planting choice to something more tangible. Document why you feel that, what the plants contributed to the site. You refer to them as being a weed in your area, are they native plants?? Are they on an "invasive plant" list somewhere? Plants which are native yet considered "weeds" can have a high species rating due to adaptability to, and tolerance of, local climatic and ecosystem requirements.
Good Luck, James.

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by James Causton, on September 30, 2002 at 21:35:59:

Loretta, the issue as I see it is not what value they had when planted or even presence on lists, but what value they gave at the time they were cut. james is right re how they fit to the site being more important.

Regional lists I use sometimes, more often not.
Each property, each plant is unique.

Report This Post
<Lew Bloch>
posted
Reply to post by Loretta, on September 30, 2002 at 21:35:59:

Loretta,

I don't have a copy of a recent publication, but the 1992 Species Rating and Appraisal Factors Guide for the Rocky Mountain Chapter gives a species rating for Russian olive of 60-80%. Perhaps you should get a recent copy if you are going to be doing appraisals.

Lew

Report This Post