Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Tree & Landscape Valuation    Valuation of native trees ranging in size

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Valuation of native trees ranging in size
 Login/Join 
<Robert>
posted
I am presently working on a project to determine the value of trees cut down on a neighbors property. I am using trunk formula for the large trees but am unsure about about the smaller ones. If I were to use the replacement costs for the small trees the value of these native, volunteer trees would surely be far too high. Since I have used the trunk formula for the larger ones is it still appropiate to use trunk formula on small trees such as 1 inch in Diameter? (Note: I am using the regional guide for my figures: Replacement tree cost, unit tree cost, installation cost) The values seem appropriate but there surely is a case to made for cost of cure (replacement) values to be used.

Report This Post
<Robert>
posted
Reply to post by Robert, on October 17, 2002 at 14:17:02:

To make this more clear, in the hopes I get a response, my question is: Is it appropriate to use one formula throughout a job rather than break down different parts of the job and use different value formulas/costs. IE. Is it appropriate to use trunk formula to estimate value for large and small trees alike - even down to 1" DIA. which would give a negative value on APPRAISED TREE TRUNK INCREASE? The larger trees are diseased and a different species than the smaller damaged trees. The assignment was to value the trees damaged. Value obiously means different things to different people though. I am trying to be neutral and give a reasonable value to these trees.

Report This Post
<James Causton>
posted

Robert, It would be perfectly "in order" for you to appraise the value of plants according to size, utilizing different methods. You need to clearly document your reasons for doing this. If you have a small tree which is replaceable, use replacement cost and explain why. If you have a tree larger than that use TFM and again, explain why. I have found that reports are often not judged on content, more on presentation. Assume that no-one understands any thing and spell it out clearly in your report. If you want to use technical terms provide a glossary. If you use Rep. cost and TFM, explain, in detail, what those processes and formulas entail. It ain't what you say, it is how you say it!!! Good Luck, James.

Report This Post
<James Scarlata>
posted

Depending on the conditions at the site, it may be appropriate to use depreciation factors to adjust the replacement cost of the young saplings. Consider all of the facts at hand and document your reasons for any adjustments you make.

James M. Scarlata
Manistee, Michigan

Report This Post