Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Tree & Landscape Valuation    a couple of difficult apprasal situations

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
a couple of difficult apprasal situations
 Login/Join 
posted
I have a couple of tree appraisal scenarios that I need help thinking through.

One involves a tornado that destroyed approximately 500 mature trees on a 110 acre ranch. Some of the trees are around the house, but most surround pasture areas. The land is worth approximately $4,000/acre. Trees cover about 1/3 of the property and about 10-20% of the trees were destroyed. About 30-40% of the large trees (>24” DBH) were destroyed. I’m having trouble coming up with a reasonable appraisal for the trees for IRS casualty losses. It will cost approximately $70,000 to clean up the damage. If the landowner replants small trees (1-2” caliper) they will cost at least $100 each, which exceeds the value of the land. Is this reasonable under IRS rules?

The other scenario involves a wildfire that scorched thousands of acres of land. All of the trees on the land were killed by the fire. This land is mostly rangeland and is worth less than $2,000/acre. There is a lawsuit involving several landowners to recover lost value due to the fire. If trees are worth only $100, then their value exceeds the price of the land. Is this reasonable in this case? It seems unreasonable that the trees are worth less than that.

Any thoughts that you can provide will be very helpful.

Thanks!

Todd

Posts: 1 | Registered: Monday September 22, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Todd it sounds like the trees in the first scenariowould be intwo parts because the trees around the house would be Landscape trees, then the other trees could be cost of cure, but wouldn't that be a write off?
In the second scenario, who are they trying to get money from? It sounds like a natural forest fire.

Posts: 1 | Location: Sugar Land, TX, USA | Registered: Wednesday June 25, 2003Report This Post