Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Tree & Landscape Valuation    Evaluating trees planted way off-site.

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Evaluating trees planted way off-site.
 Login/Join 
<Bob Underwood>
posted
I looked at some trees last night near Minot ND. The ones I am questioning are some AusTree Willows and a Royal Red Norway Maple that had damage from an aerial spray applicator. It was largely 2,4-D damage that we were evaluating. I know that the trees received some damage (twisted petioles, etc.) and several are definitely dead. Since these trees are at the most marginally hardy at this site, my question is how much damage, particularly mortality, is the result of the trees being severely weakened by being in a harsh environment. Another better adapted white willow on the site, shows basically no damage from the spray. I do not think any of the trees took a direct hit, mostly drift of ester vapors I think. The damage was done in June, while we were in a very atypical monsoon weather pattern ( about 3" over annual rainfall in about 4 weeks). There were some trees in the yard, Lombardy poplar in particular which showed no damage at all, not even petiole deformation. The boxelders showed very typical leaf deformation, but no mortality.

The local nursery gave a bid for replacement of all trees and a years warranty, for what I think are rather high prices, I am sure due to the fact that they will not be available locally. I am working for the insurance company, but do not think that I could in good concience suggest full value for replacement no matter who I worked for. The owner is very upset as he sees his ability to keep these exotics alive for 6-7 years as proof that they will live there, no matter what the experts say. He is not hostile or anything, just a super tree hugger type.

The maple, replacement quoted at 60.00 has a sprout growing, true to type and about a foot tall. It is rare that these trees live long this far north and this dry. Soil is a very heavy clay.

When we get a normal -35 to -40 week long stretch in winter, all the replacements are going to die back to the roots, Austree will probably resprout into the shrubs that now exist. My question is is this survival and is it an insurable risk from a common sense standpoint.

Good to be at the site again after a long absence. Bob Underwood, Bottineau, ND

Report This Post