Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Tree & Landscape Valuation    Valuation of removed trees

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Valuation of removed trees
 Login/Join 
posted
I live in a residential area west of Philadelphia on 3+ acres.

Two years ago, a developer bought the lot next to mine, tore down the house, subdivided the 1.5 acre lot, took out 26 mature trees, and built two mcmansions. I share 300 feet of common property line with the subdivided lot.

My property along the common lot line is generally wooded with mature and new growth trees, as was a substantial part of the subdivided lot. It was so wooded I rarely ventured to that part of the lawn.

I discovered recently that in clearing the subdivided lot, the builder cleared of any young growth a section of my yard (in addition to the subdivided lot) in the shape of a pie wedge 300 feet long on the sides and about 60 feet wide at the base. The developer cleared anything but the mature trees (about 8) on that area, and dozed and graded the land. the land adjacent to the cleared area has a fair population of young (3-5 caliper diameter) trees. I only discovered that part of cleared land was actually mine when the monuments and pins were set on the subdivided property this past January. Before that, I assumed the land that was cleared was part of the subdivided property. There wre no boundary markers in the woods.

My question is this: How would one go about estimating the composition and the value of the trees that were removed by the developer in clearing this portion of my land? (I have a letter from the developer acknowledging that they were on my land and knew it). What type of analysis would be done? Is there a way to calculate replacement cost and the types of trees that were removed?

PaoliPete

Posts: 1 | Registered: Thursday May 17, 2007Report This Post