New
Find
Notify
Tools
Consulting UF
 Login/Join

<Bradford from Texas>
posted
Finally, I seem to have gotten to the right forum. I have been in "da tree biz" (both private and municipal) I am hanging out my shingle as a UF consultant to municipalities. Although I am an ISA member and Certified Arborist, and a member of Society of Municipal Arborists, president of the Houston Area Urban Forestry Council, among others, yet I have not joined ASCA.
I now look to the experience of y'all. Can anyone give me any tips about beginning a consulting business? Is the ASCA Acaademy worth it? I have heard of a lot of in-fighting. Does this really mean anything?
The above is my city e-mail, I would prefer to recieve any e-mails in this matter at my home computer, treeman@pdq.net. Thanks.

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Bradford from Texas, on April 14, 2000 at 09:25:39:

Bradford, since I instruct at the Academy I'll let others comment on whether it is worthwhile.

I will comment on what you called 'in-fighting'. I have been an RCA since 1994, and have been active in the organization since joining. Over the past 6 years, there have been a lot of changes in ASCA. The structure was reorganized, requirements modified slightly, etc. During this process, there was much discussion and plenty of disagreement on how to proceed. I suspect you are referring to this. Anytime an organization of ASCA's stature is changed, there will be some who disagree or who do not seem the same benefits. And of course, there may be more than one way to achieve the goals, but only one can be pursued at a time.

ASCA has worked its way through the process, and has come out stronger for it, and will continue to grow as a result. That doesn't mean all differences of opinion have been resolved and all disagreements settled. It just means we have moved down the road, perhaps in a different direction. We have studied the options, we have considered alternatives, and we have defined our goals for the organization. Now we are moving forward toward those goals.

If you define 'in-fighting' as disagreement between members on how to proceed, then that's what we had (still have?). I prefer to think of it more as progress on the rocky road toward a healthy, growing and active organization.

Russ Carlson, RCA

Report This Post
<Mark Hartley>
posted
Reply to post by Bradford from Texas, on April 14, 2000 at 09:25:39:

Bradford,

Check the posts below out. I travelled from Australia to go and even
with the differences (language and all) thought that it was worth the time
and the thousands of dollars it cost me.

As to in fighting, I didn't know it was happening because I am not interested
in the polotics of the organisation. I must say though that if you put tree men
together with alcohol an an INN you will get fighting.

Mark

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Mark Hartley, on April 14, 2000 at 09:25:39:

It's a great credit to Mark that despite only a slight familiarity with the language (American English) he slogged through. And without the slightest conern over personal embarrassment joined actively in discussion in the strange foreign tongue... and more than held his own I might add.

Report This Post
<Mark Hartley>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on April 15, 2000 at 04:44:46:

Scott,

It is amazing how much I, a quiet and unassuming character was encouraged /
permitted to speak my mind. Must have been the oral comunication componant
of the academy.

Mark

Report This Post