Notify
Tools
Why no cards
 Login/Join

<Kim>
posted
Hey there Webmaster, and on-lookers...
Just a thought,
When one meets the criteria for membership in ASCA, why are new members not given 'wallet-sized cards' to go with the certificate of membership?
I am a licensed and certified arborist, I have two cards to verify each. Membership= memberships cards.

For example, if someone was a member of, say, 'The Book Club' like someone I know, (right S.C.?) he would get a card. Or it my friend Ed, was
a member of the Red Cross, he would get a card. I am a member of ASCA, where's my card?

OK, now for the thought..
I would like to have an ASCA membership card AND, on the back of the card, (I suggest), the list of ASCA approved
CEU functions and their value would come in handy.
ASCA requires many CEU's to continue towards RCA stature and when many of us, nowadays, do most of the calculations and record keeping for our
CEU's, anything to help with the task would be welcome.

Kim [Smile]

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Kim, on October 08, 1999 at 21:46:34:

Re: Membership cards
This was a decision by the Board. Membership = membership cards = $$$. ASCA is a small organization, so the cost is slightly out of proportion with large institutions. Also, I for one, seldom use my various other membership cards for anything. I even gave up carrying most of them (I carry pesticide licenses, etc.). No one ever really asks to see your membership card.

Re: CEUs
This is easy, Kim. Make a card with the CEU list on it. I put it on my Palm datapad. A wallet card would be handy, too. But since you don't have to report in at any particular event, I don't see the need to have the list constantly with you. It's in the Membership Directory, so you have it at the office (or wherever) and can refer to that when you submit your list.

Report This Post
<Kim>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on October 08, 1999 at 21:46:34:

I must have been to eager. I assumed that, while yes, I do have membership cards to various organizations, the ONLY ones I care to carry
would be the ones I am proud of. The ones that I feel deserve recognition. People may not ask you for any proof of this or that, but it is comforting
to have ANY type of card which, perhaps, helps someone decide to hire you rather than another 'Joe'. Membership, at least for our profession,
should be a status to be expressed.

ASCA membership is not cheap, what could it cost to produce a small card? Like the ISA certification card??

RE: CEU's
For those of us who do not have a dataplampad,(though it did look rather neat,)personally, I would like to have ASCA's list with me at all times, but,
nothing cumbersome= wallet ID. I guess my main point is, yes, ASCA is small, but I believe they make up for that in dues and in functions. After all, new members
are coming on board all the time, yes? I think it maybe just a matter of time.
So, nobody asks to see your membership, so? I am just a stickler for details... something ASCA relishes in.

Kim, [Smile]

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Kim, on October 08, 1999 at 22:10:06:

Here are a few thoughts Kim.

The late Bob Felix of NAA always said "membership doesn't cost it pays." The ASCA dues are an out of pocket expense to be sure, but if the membership card is important to you then clearly you already know the benefits of membership. Put the deductible dues in the context of how many billable consulting hours they cost and consider how many additional hours you get because of what you learn through membership or even just because of the prestiege of membership. And consider how much more efficent you are because of what you learn through membership (= higher margin on those billable hours). ASCA really is a pretty good bargain. But you knew that already.

I'd suggest that if the idea of a card is valuable to you what may be even more valuable is the ASCA Logo - subject to all the use rules of course - on your own personal business card.

I think the board has decided that the dues $ spent for annual cards provide more benefit in other areas.

And maybe what we should really have is Knothole membership cards, you never know if your going to get carded.

Report This Post
<Kim>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on October 09, 1999 at 17:21:08:

Well, who am I to argue with logic and practicality? I had ordered new business cards, with the ASCA logo, prior to my
inquiry about the membership cards. I guess they will have to do. Can I assume that when one becomes a RCA then a 'type' of
card is given, along with a certificate and possibly a seal?

Another note- "Getting to that next level" ASCA asks much of an individual in becoming registered, and rightly so, but the
confidence factor must be maintained. How does one get the exposure to the management skills required for professional
consulting? Workshops yes, meetings occasionally, anything else?

Kim [Smile]

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Kim , on October 10, 1999 at 06:46:46:

There are a lot of ways to keep progressing in your skills, Kim. But don't expect them to be handed to you at this level. Consulting is not at all like practicing a trade. You can take sales courses to become a better salesperson for a tree firm. You can take lots of technical courses to become a better arborist. And you can take courses in consulting. They just might be harder to find.

There are many local colleges that offer business courses that are applicable to what you are doing. Networking is, of course, one of the best ways to learn. And finding one or two other ASCA members to help you when needed is a great way to do it.

My point is, you have to seek it out. ASCA is here to help, but you won't learn it all here. You have to get your hands dirty, get down and try things to see what works for you. While classroom training is great, nothing beats experience as a teacher. And consulting is not something that can be taught, although it can be learned. There is usually more than one way to do things, and maybe no right or wrong ways. We each do what works best for us. Learn from others, borrow and share ideas, and put it to work in our own way.

I've been consulting independently for nearly 8 years. I'm still striving to get "to the next level."

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on October 09, 1999 at 17:21:08:

OK, here you go Scott. Your very own The Knothole Membership Card. Simply print it, write in your name (nice and neat, please), then send $20 to me to receive your free membership number.

Report This Post
<Scott>
posted
Reply to post by Kim , on October 10, 1999 at 06:46:46:

There's a rumor the Board met in SA,TX to consider RCA tatoos but discussion bogged down over whether location would be mandated by the board or discretionary by the member.

Report This Post
<lewbloch>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on October 11, 1999 at 21:31:30:

Hi Kim,
Russ said it real well. I think just going out and doing what feels right, and learning from your success's as well as your failures, will get it done for you. The college of Hard Knocks is a great education. The three best pieces of advice, in my opinion, are network, network, network. Feel free to call on me, or any othe ASCANS for help at any time.

Someday Russ will get to the next levelSmile
verytreelylew

Report This Post
<Kim>
posted
Reply to post by lewbloch, on October 11, 1999 at 23:09:01:

Well thank you gentlemen, I kinda figured that I would have to just jump in, but I am a little apprehensive about the first project I will
work on. I did ask an ASCA member to be my mentor and it was agreed, however,this probably won't take place until early next year as our
schedules are very busy at present.
I agree there is nothing like 'hands on' education with any type of profession, hopefully I can do some networking in a couple of weeks.

Oh, and a Scott, regarding the Tatoos, I think you live to close to NYC, or did you get a mosquito bite?
But just to ease everyones curiosity, you know, for the sake of enlightenment, where would you put yours???????

Kim [Embarrassed]

Report This Post
<Scott>
posted
Reply to post by Kim, on October 12, 1999 at 18:08:15:

Actually, I wouldn't go the tatoo route myself. It's kidof like one of those indelible marks on your soul things. Tough to change your mind... I'm not convinced that plastic surgery actually leaves no imprint... that ASCA ghost image might remain.

Report This Post