Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  ASCA Discussion Group Archives    Academy 2000 REview

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Academy 2000 REview
 Login/Join

<Russ Carlson>
posted
Well, we made it through a week of intense instruction. (Some of us had a rougher time than others, I think.) With my voice gradually returning, it's time to share some of the experiences.

For those who had toe good fortune and foresight to attend this year, tell us some of your experiences. Did you really get anything out of it? What did you enjoy most? Least?

Report This Post
<Mark Hartley>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on March 14, 2000 at 22:57:57:

Russ,

I think is only fair to get my thoughts down so that others can benefit from my experiences.

The first question to ask yourself is do I want to go? If the answer is "Yes!" then book early!
Do not hesitate as this will create harder conditions for you later on.

Get reading. You do not have to go to the academy to read the course matterial, but the academy will
make things clearer (usually it is clearer that things are often less clear!). I had the matterial on my
shelves for 12 months B4 I read them. What a waste.

The pre cours assignment. yes there is one and it is fun. Unfortunately there are few instructions if any.
These are helpful hints. You definately need to do the assignment and do a good job. This way you can truely
see what you did not understand. It is not some test and the assignment is not marked. It is a reference point by
which you can measure your understanding of the text (so read the book on report writing first. Yes it is a booklet
format you will be working on. OK so you have read the hyperthetical case and you are wondering what to do with it
and how smart you can be. (OK so I was silly thought there was a catch). What is wanted is for you to follow the pattern
for booklet report writing and to comunicate logically. In each case keeping the information under the headings in the right
spots. Oberservasions under observations, discussions under discussion, conclusions under conclusions and so on. It doesnt so
much matter what your conclusion is as long as it is logical and consistant. There is no wright or wrong. There is good written
comunication. The best comment on report writing "Read it Write it Send it" Jack Kelly (2000)

The test. Yes there is a test but it is not really a test. Well it is a test ... a test to see if you were there and awake. If the
answer to those 2 questions is yes then you should pass with ease.

Ethics ... now this is fun (yes there is fun at the academy ... see below). ASCA has done a great job here. I thought that I was ethical
but now I understand why and see where the problems in professional ethics arrise from.

Fun... you bet.There is lots of great activities particularly on the last day. I have not laughed so hard in ages.

Am I a better diagnostician as a result? No. Am I a more able consultant? ..... You bet.

Finally to clear things up I do live in Australia and it cost me a little over Aus$5000 in air fares, enrollment, meals and accomodation
and I will in time repeat the exercise (if they will let me back?)

Mark

Report This Post
<Ed Milhous>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on March 14, 2000 at 22:57:57:

Russ...
My second academy (slow learner?), and it was a fine experience. You, Scott, Denise, Denis, and Jim all did another bang-up job. I heard many, many good comments from participants.
Anybody who consults owes it to him/herself to attend this event!

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Ed Milhous, on March 14, 2000 at 22:57:57:

Now Ed, let's not leave out you, John Britton, Bill Spiewak, John Lichter and Bill Pramuk as coaches. And Jack Kelly as both coach and director. And Beth and staff. Now that we've patted each other on the back...

Once again it was an outstanding class. Across a wide range of experience and education there was uniform enthusiasm, willingness to jump into difficult or new material and to participate. Lots of good insights and judgments were shared.

Scott

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on March 19, 2000 at 09:50:01:

You forgot to mention lots of good laughs, especially the closing evening skits.

(Did you remember to turn off your mic?)

Report This Post
<Scott>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on March 19, 2000 at 15:07:45:

SWOOOSH!

Judge Judy AND Who Wants To Be A Millionaire on the same program. What talent!

Report This Post
<Gerald>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on March 19, 2000 at 15:07:45:

i am very interested in attending the academy. i recieved some information several years ago. The cost does hold me back at this time. I am seeing a need of providing consulting services and an interest of providing good lawful information. I am quite concerned about legal reprecussion and finding insurance to assist me in case of error. I aim to get there yet.

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Gerald, on March 20, 2000 at 01:39:29:

Gerald, the Academy presents four topic areas: written (report writing) and oral communication; consulting ethics and standards of professional practice; practice management; and dispute resolution -forensic practice.

The academy does not deal directly with issues of legal liability. But the areas covered will go a long way to keeping a consultant out of trouble.

It's worth saving for.

Report This Post