Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  ASCA Discussion Group Archives    Decay Testing Device

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Decay Testing Device
 Login/Join

<Matt Rivers>
posted
Anybody have any experience with use of a decay testing device called a Stress Wave Timer? The one in the catalogue I'm looking at is made by Metriguard Inc., is Model #239A and seems to be marketed for forest use. I'm wondering how it might serve for application in Urban Forestry? Any response appreciated.
Thanks,
M2O

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Matt Rivers, on June 20, 2001 at 14:33:08:

I think there have been a number of articles that have compared decay detection instruments, including stress wave timers. Do a search of Journal of Arboriculture. Or Arboricultural Journal (UK). I think Mattheck addresses them briefly in Body Language of Trees. I have some journal article citations from other sources and I'll post them if I can find them in my piles of stuff.

Report This Post
<Scott>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on June 20, 2001 at 14:33:08:

Lawday, G. and P.A. Hodges. 2000. "The analytical use of stress waves for the detection of decay in standing trees." Forestry 73(5):447-456.

Rust, Steffen, 2001. "A New Tomographic Device for the Non-Destructive Testing of Trees." NDT.net 6(3) (March). http://www.ndt.net/article/v06n03/rust/rust.htm (Accessed 5/22/01).

Report This Post