Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Ask the Experts    Cleveland Pears

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cleveland Pears
 Login/Join 
posted
I live in Indiana.I just planted 10 Cleveland Pears. I purchased these trees in Kentucky.These trees were already blooming in KY. I planted them,then the weather turned from 60's back to the 30's. I noticed while watering them, the blooms and leaves have wilted. Do you think this weather shock will have major effect on these trees?If so, is there anything I can do to help them? I would appreciate some help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Saturday April 07, 2007Report This Post
RCA #354
BCMA #PD0008b
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The trees will probably be OK, but don’t expect an nice blossoms this year. The flowers of most trees are quite sensitive to frost. If it got cold enough and the flowers froze, they will just wilt and fall off. If not entirely killed, the flowers may come back, but probably won’t look very good. Leaves that get frosted could be a little more of a problem of rthe tree. There are only a limited number of leaf buds on the tree, and once they break bud, thrre is no going back. If the buds are killed by frost, the tree has rely on later opening buds that diden’t get frosted, and latent or dormant buds that usually don’t open except in conditions such as this.

The best thing to do now is wait. Don’t water the trees if you get any rain within about 19 days of the last rain. The soil shouldn’t be bone-dry, but not wet, either. Eventually, the trees should put out new leaves and twigs, although they may be much later than other trees of the species that weren’t frosted. At this point, only time will tell what the outcome will be.

Good luck.

--------------------
--
Russ Carlson, RCA, BCMA

Posts: 287 | Location: Bear, DE USA | Registered: Wednesday June 18, 2003Report This Post