Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Ask the Experts    Control of Smilax rotundifolia

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Control of Smilax rotundifolia
 Login/Join 
<Mike Nadeau>
posted
Hello Everyone,

Although is not a "tree" question, i hope there are other Certified Supervisors that can offer advice. I am looking for information as to the control of Smilax r. in a natural setting. Both cultural and chemical control data would be helpful. Especially helpful would be a natural/organic approach. I would appreciate any help. Thank you! Mike Nadeau

Report This Post
<Wayne>
posted
Reply to post by Mike Nadeau, on May 04, 2000 at 11:47:35:

One thing that works but is difficult to initiate is a cutting and herbicide program. First cut the entire stand to ground level during the late winter. Then, each time the stems reach 6 to 8 inches, cut it again. Obviously this is a weakening process and will stress out the plant. About mid to late August let the stems reach about 8 inches and then use a sponge applicator with round-up or a similar product. it may take two years to knock out a well established stand, but this method works well even in wooded areas with minimal impact on other vegetation.

Hope this helps

Report This Post
<Mike Nadeau>
posted
Reply to post by Wayne, on May 04, 2000 at 11:47:35:

Thanks, Wayne, for your reply. However, Roundup is not labeled in CT for the control of SMILAX, therefore it is illegal to use. Mike

Report This Post