Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Ask the Experts    Let's top that thar post oak so it will be safe and beyootifull

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Let's top that thar post oak so it will be safe and beyootifull
 Login/Join 
posted
Is topping or hatracknig a mature post oak a death sentence for this species of oak?
Scientific or researched material would be gratefully appreciated for this species:
Q. stelleta

......that treedude feller in McAlester,OK

Posts: 22 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Sunday July 13, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
C'mon, don't just look, talk to me. I already know the awnswer and besides; I don't top or hatrack. My mentors taught me well! I need info to show others and stop the topping of these magnificent 150 year old post oaks by these storm chasers after our ice storm 1/11/07.
Please, I'll pay,beg or tap dance for research material. David

Posts: 22 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Sunday July 13, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Darbo,

I don't think you are getting any answers because of the specifics of a particular tree. You could do a google with terms like:
hatracking post oak
topping post oak
hatracking tree
topping tree

Here's an interesting site with some heartwrenching pics.
http://www.pbase.com/treemanphotographs/miamilakes_res

I don't know if anyone has done research on a specific species of tree.

Good luck in your quest.
Newt

--------------------
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Posts: 42 | Location: Maryland zone 7 | Registered: Friday May 06, 2005Report This Post